Old 30-05-2016, 07:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Did he kill bare roots?

I bought 3 bare root roses from reputable source just before 3/4 accident
that put me in rehab for 2 months.

I sent word to OP to tell gardener to plant them. On return home, observed Zero growth!!!

Wondering if miscommunication. I wanted gardener to fertilize ESTABLISHED roses
pruned in January.

Could he have misunderstood and also fertilized bare roots (which is a No-No)
and could that have let to their demise?

Would appreciate input from rose folks.

This is So Cal coastal.

HB
Old 20-06-2016, 02:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Monday, May 30, 2016 at 11:53:35 AM UTC-7, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
I bought 3 bare root roses from reputable source just before 3/4 accident
that put me in rehab for 2 months.

I sent word to OP to tell gardener to plant them. On return home, observed Zero growth!!!

Wondering if miscommunication. I wanted gardener to fertilize ESTABLISHED roses
pruned in January.

Could he have misunderstood and also fertilized bare roots (which is a No-No)
and could that have let to their demise?

Would appreciate input from rose folks.

This is So Cal coastal.

HB

Really still curious about this. Never happened before w/bare roots. I wasn't there to observe, but seems odd to me. Any parallel experiences, or possible explanations?
Old 23-06-2016, 05:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Hypatia Nachshon" wrote in message ...
On Monday, May 30, 2016 at 11:53:35 AM UTC-7, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
I bought 3 bare root roses from reputable source just before 3/4 accident
that put me in rehab for 2 months.

I sent word to OP to tell gardener to plant them. On return home, observed Zero growth!!!

Wondering if miscommunication. I wanted gardener to fertilize ESTABLISHED roses
pruned in January.

Could he have misunderstood and also fertilized bare roots (which is a No-No)
and could that have let to their demise?

Would appreciate input from rose folks.

This is So Cal coastal.

HB

Really still curious about this. Never happened before w/bare roots. I wasn't there to observe, but seems odd to me. Any parallel experiences, or possible explanations?

I could have guessed it was So Cal. I hired the neighbor's gardener one time who appeared to understand what I was telling him. Then when I went to check on the work, I was missing a grapefruit sapling, and one of his crew was standing on a block wall trimming the neighbors bushes. They didn't even understand "stop" -- I had to go over to one and pull him away from where he was whacking at a rose bush. It was actually funny to me. But I don't like grapefruit, opposite from the lovely wife. Turned out the guy was only nodding and smiling and didn't understand a word. Fortunately the neighbor was also OK with the trimming. Then once I showed them what I needed done, they did a good job. Next time I'll be sure to ask him to repeat what he is supposed to before starting.