GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Why up potting? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/213138-why-up-potting.html)

Don Wiss 12-07-2016 09:45 PM

Why up potting?

When repotting plants in containers, one is only supposed to go up a size,
and not make a big jump in size. Why? Reading about hostas in containers, I
find that a big jump in size will kill the plant. When planted in the
ground you are planting it in a huge container.

What I learned is the most important thing to get a container hosta to
winter over outside in the north is to keep rain off it when the soil is
frozen.

David E. Ross[_2_] 13-07-2016 06:02 AM

Why up potting?

On 7/12/2016 1:45 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
When repotting plants in containers, one is only supposed to go up a size,
and not make a big jump in size. Why? Reading about hostas in containers, I
find that a big jump in size will kill the plant. When planted in the
ground you are planting it in a huge container.

What I learned is the most important thing to get a container hosta to
winter over outside in the north is to keep rain off it when the soil is
frozen.

When repotting a plant, I use a paring knife or pruning saw -- depending
on the size and strength of the roots -- and shave away part of the root
ball, both the sides and bottom. I might also cut slits about an inch
deep into the root ball from top to bottom in 3 or 4 places around.
With new potting mix -- my own home-made mix -- to replace what I
removed, I then repot into the old pot.

I recently did a Washingtonian palm and a Dracaena that way. About two
months ago, a did a sweet bay. They are all thriving, the Dracaena
indoors and the other two outdoors.

--
David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/.

Is it true that Donald Trump refuses to reveal his
income tax returns because he uses so many questionable
loopholes that he pays no taxes? See
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/06/15/new-evidence-donald-trump-didn-t-pay-taxes.html.
Even if those
loopholes are legal, Trump might be too embarrassed to
admit he pays no taxes.

Moe DeLoughan 13-07-2016 02:01 PM

Why up potting?

On 7/12/2016 3:45 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
When repotting plants in containers, one is only supposed to go up a size,
and not make a big jump in size. Why?

It's just an old wive's tale. Putting small plants into much larger
containers is the very definition of patio gardening.