Old 01-08-2016, 03:01 PM
Registered User

Question ID needed - red berry bush

This bush outside my window has ripe red berries and I'm wondering if they're edible. It looks like a raspberry but slightly more orange and with more spikes, except the spikes are soft. Can't find anything in listings of common berries.
Attached Thumbnails
ID needed - red berry bush-wp_20160801_14_54_45_pro.jpg
Old 01-08-2016, 06:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default ID needed - red berry bush

On 01/08/16 15:01, melarish wrote:
This bush outside my window has ripe red berries and I'm wondering if
they're edible. It looks like a raspberry but slightly more orange and
with more spikes, except the spikes are soft. Can't find anything in
listings of common berries.

|Filename: WP_20160801_14_54_45_Pro.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16440|

If it is evergreen, it might be Rubus tricolor, although that has leaves
with a reddish edge and the stem hairs tend to be pinkish. It could also
be a hybrid of R. tricolor with any of the raspberries and their ilk
(including tayberries, loganberries, etc).

--

Jeff
Old 01-08-2016, 08:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 1 Aug 2016 18:38:24 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

On 01/08/16 15:01, melarish wrote:
This bush outside my window has ripe red berries and I'm wondering if
they're edible. It looks like a raspberry but slightly more orange and
with more spikes, except the spikes are soft. Can't find anything in
listings of common berries.

|Filename: WP_20160801_14_54_45_Pro.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16440|

If it is evergreen, it might be Rubus tricolor, although that has leaves
with a reddish edge and the stem hairs tend to be pinkish. It could also
be a hybrid of R. tricolor with any of the raspberries and their ilk
(including tayberries, loganberries, etc).

Looks like the type of wild red raspberry bush that grows along
roadway shoulders here, small berries but still quite edible albeit
large seeds... probably seeded by birds and other wild critters. I
think it best to remove it from your bedding plants before it takes a
foothold, they spread aggressively and their thorns are deadly. They
are best left to grow along rural roadways and in hedgerows, they make
excellent cover for song birds and other small critters.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:21 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Layman[_2_] View Post
If it is evergreen, it might be Rubus tricolor, although that has leaves
with a reddish edge and the stem hairs tend to be pinkish. It could also
be a hybrid of R. tricolor with any of the raspberries and their ilk
(including tayberries, loganberries, etc).
Cheers, it does look a lot like one. Don't think the leaves always have the reddish edge, as in this one: http://www.aphotoflora.com/images/ro...31-07-10_3.jpg (looks a lot like mine). Mine actually does have pinkish hairs; think my camera messed up slightly!

I also came across https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Rubus_phoenicolasius but that one seems to have its berries in clusters, and bigger berries.

I tried one berry - it was quite tasty but there's small hairs in the berry which makes eating it a bit uncomfortable :/ Oh well. Thanks anyway
Old 02-08-2016, 07:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 01 Aug 2016, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Looks like the type of wild red raspberry bush that grows along
roadway shoulders here, small berries but still quite edible albeit
large seeds...

They are called wineberries. It does look like it. The problem is the
posted picture doesn't show any full leaves.

https://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/pub...antic/ruph.htm

Old 02-08-2016, 09:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 02 Aug 2016 14:21:57 -0400, Don Wiss
wrote:

On Mon, 01 Aug 2016, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Looks like the type of wild red raspberry bush that grows along
roadway shoulders here, small berries but still quite edible albeit
large seeds...

They are called wineberries. It does look like it. The problem is the
posted picture doesn't show any full leaves.

https://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/pub...antic/ruph.htm

They are aggressive, the OP should remove it from his bed and
transplant it in a hedgerow or some such location where it receives
full sun and he doesn't mind deadly thorns, the wild song birds will
be most appreciative. I'd not leave it with the ground cover lest the
ground cover becomes eradicated by those large shady leaves. Thse
berry plants are tenacious, have deep roots, and once establishes are
very difficult to remove without removing everything else.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 02 Aug 2016, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Thse
berry plants are tenacious, have deep roots, and once establishes are
very difficult to remove without removing everything else.

You don't have to dig up any roots. You cut it down to the ground. Then you
paint the stump with full strength Roundup. That will kill it completely.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 02 Aug 2016 19:14:36 -0400, Don Wiss
wrote:

On Tue, 02 Aug 2016, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Thse
berry plants are tenacious, have deep roots, and once establishes are
very difficult to remove without removing everything else.

You don't have to dig up any roots. You cut it down to the ground. Then you
paint the stump with full strength Roundup. That will kill it completely.

For a couple three plants that works, but once it becomes established
and spreads it's not so easy to to get rid of it with Round Up without
killing adjacent plants. With one plant I'd dig it up and keep an eye
out for others popping up. Round Up tends to spread in the soil from
roots so will kill a bunch of that nice ground cover. I use Round Up
to kill weeds in bunches in gravel driveways and around outbuilding
foundations but I've learned that it tends to kill adjacent plants...
I wouldn't use Round Up within 20 feet of plants I want to keep. I'd
dig up that berry plant and move it somewhere else or toss it in the
composter. Since there are many here growing along the roadways I'd
dig it up and let it die.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 02 Aug 2016, Brooklyn1 wrote:

I use Round Up
to kill weeds in bunches in gravel driveways and around outbuilding
foundations but I've learned that it tends to kill adjacent plants...
I wouldn't use Round Up within 20 feet of plants I want to keep.

That is because you are spraying. When you paint a stump you use a paint
brush. We've done this numerous times. No nearby plants have ever been
killed.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/2/2016 10:23 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
I wouldn't use Round Up within 20 feet of plants I want to keep.

That's because you're a clueless idiot.

HTH

Old 03-08-2016, 09:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 03 Aug 2016 07:23:08 -0400, Don Wiss
wrote:

On Tue, 02 Aug 2016, Brooklyn1 wrote:

I use Round Up
to kill weeds in bunches in gravel driveways and around outbuilding
foundations but I've learned that it tends to kill adjacent plants...
I wouldn't use Round Up within 20 feet of plants I want to keep.

That is because you are spraying. When you paint a stump you use a paint
brush. We've done this numerous times. No nearby plants have ever been
killed.

Round Up inffects nearby plants from root leaching.