GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Vine for garage wall (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/213661-vine-garage-wall.html)

Hypatia Nachshon 24-09-2016 10:18 PM

Vine for garage wall

Hi, folks -L00king for your recommendations for vine to climb up garage wall:

Area:So. Calif coastal

Exposu West, unobstructed

Would like: Fast-growing; lots of flowers (I can dream...)

Water: Is there anything low water? If not, please recommend anyway.

Trellis: Can erect, if vine doesn't cling to stucco

No Butterfly Bush.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Hypatia

David E. Ross[_2_] 25-09-2016 05:47 PM

Vine for garage wall

On 9/24/2016 2:18 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
Hi, folks -L00king for your recommendations for vine to climb up garage wall:

Area:So. Calif coastal

Exposu West, unobstructed

Would like: Fast-growing; lots of flowers (I can dream...)

Water: Is there anything low water? If not, please recommend anyway.

Trellis: Can erect, if vine doesn't cling to stucco

No Butterfly Bush.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Hypatia

These all need support (e.g., a trellis):
Bougainvillea
Star jasmine
Bignonia

Avoid Wisteria, it will eventually tear your garage apart.

--
David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/.

Donald Trump claims he is a successful businessman.
If so, how does he explain the number of his
enterprises that have gone bankrupt?

Jeff Layman[_2_] 25-09-2016 06:44 PM

Vine for garage wall

On 24/09/16 22:18, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
Hi, folks -L00king for your recommendations for vine to climb up garage wall:

Area:So. Calif coastal

Exposu West, unobstructed

Would like: Fast-growing; lots of flowers (I can dream...)

Water: Is there anything low water? If not, please recommend anyway.

Trellis: Can erect, if vine doesn't cling to stucco

No Butterfly Bush.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Hypatia

Passiflora.

Even here in the UK, Passiflora caerulea grows at an amazing rate. You
want flowers? You'll get flowers! And you'll get attractive fruits (the
pulp inside is pleasantly edible, but not especially tasty). In south
California I would expect other, more tender, Passiflora species to grow
well. And those have more interesting flowers and much tastier fruit.

There are a couple of catches. Firstly, they won't cling to stucco.
You'll need a trellis or wires. Secondly, they'll need water. But if you
are looking for something which grows fast, anything of that sort will
need water

Other possibilities are Trachelospermum, Holboellia and its ilk
(Stauntonia), and maybe Stephanotis. For something really unusual, and
drought-resistant, you could look at Ceropegias (such as C. woodii or C.
sandersonii). They have extraordinarily strange flowers, but I don't
know if they are too tender for south California. They would also need a
trellis and you would have to train them up it, as they are scramblers
more than climbers.

--

Jeff

Hypatia Nachshon 27-09-2016 05:30 PM

Vine for garage wall

On Saturday, September 24, 2016 at 2:18:43 PM UTC-7, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
Hi, folks -L00king for your recommendations for vine to climb up garage wall:

Area:So. Calif coastal

Exposu West, unobstructed

Would like: Fast-growing; lots of flowers (I can dream...)

Water: Is there anything low water? If not, please recommend anyway.

Trellis: Can erect, if vine doesn't cling to stucco

No Butterfly Bush.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Hypatia

Thanks to Jeff and David for advice.

Jeff, I agree that Passiflora might be a little "tender" for strong Western sun, esp. in summer

David, I agree Wisteria; I went through that in another area. Beautiful, but...

I found more recommendations on passionategardeners.com

Wish me luck!

Hypatia