Old 01-11-2016, 06:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Trellis vs. netting

I am putting a Distictis (Rivers) vine against a stucco garage wall. Prices for trellises are a factor, since I understand this vine spreads horizontally as well as vertically, so I would need to buy at least three,

As an alternative, I checked "netting" -- to use a loose term - and see much lower prices. Could I manage with a very strong netting, which I have seen advertised on several sites, properly secured from above on the garage roof. And secured on the sides -- how???

TIA
Old 01-11-2016, 06:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/1/2016 1:00 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
I am putting a Distictis (Rivers) vine against a stucco garage wall. Prices for trellises are a factor, since I understand this vine spreads horizontally as well as vertically, so I would need to buy at least three,

As an alternative, I checked "netting" -- to use a loose term - and see much lower prices. Could I manage with a very strong netting, which I have seen advertised on several sites, properly secured from above on the garage roof. And secured on the sides -- how???

TIA

I use deer netting around the patio bottom of my deck and let cucumbers
grow up it in season and it holds up well. I suspect netting would work
with vines as they would also tend to hook to stucco if anything like
the ivy around my house.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/1/2016 12:00 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
I am putting a Distictis (Rivers) vine against a stucco garage
wall. Prices for trellises are a factor, since I understand this
vine spreads horizontally as well as vertically, so I would need to
buy at least three,

As an alternative, I checked "netting" -- to use a loose term -
and see much lower prices. Could I manage with a very strong
netting, which I have seen advertised on several sites, properly
secured from above on the garage roof. And secured on the sides --
how???

That's a strong woody vine and netting would never be able to hold its
weight for long. Not to mention the netting will rot after a few
years. This vine grows pads which will stick to stucco; were you
planning on training it on a trellis only temporarily, until it
adhered itself to the stucco wall? In that case, netting would do as a
temporary means of support. But if you want permanent trellising, far
better to go with a trellis constructed out of sturdy material.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/1/2016 10:00 AM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

I am putting a Distictis (Rivers) vine against a stucco garage wall.
Prices for trellises are a factor, since I understand this vine
spreads horizontally as well as vertically, so I would need to buy at
least three,

As an alternative, I checked "netting" -- to use a loose term - and
see much lower prices. Could I manage with a very strong netting,
which I have seen advertised on several sites, properly secured from
above on the garage roof. And secured on the sides -- how???

TIA

Consider using chicken wire or bird mesh. The latter is a form of
chicken wire with smaller "cells". It will last longer and is stronger
than netting.

I made a free-standing trellis using two 6-foot slotted L-strips and two
4-foot slotted L-strips. I bolted the strips together to make a frame 6
feet high and 4 feet wide. To make the frame rigid, I used two 6-foot
slotted flat strips crossing the frame and bolted to the 4-foot
L-strips. I fastened a 6-foot length of 4-foot wide chicken wire in the
frame using large, unbent paper clips. After fastening the chicken
wire, I bolted two large stove washers (about 2 inches in diameter) --
one on each side of the chicken wire -- to the intersection of the flat
strips. I have star jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides) covering my
trellis, which separates my back yard from a side yard where we have our
trash bins.

My trellis has feet to keep it upright, with the feet anchored to rebar
pounded into the ground. However, I don't think you want something
free-standing.

Instead you want something hanging from your eaves. You might try
making two or three panels similar to mine that are taller than six
feet, but not so tall they touch the ground when hung. It should be
sufficient for them to end abut 1-2 feet above the ground and use twine
temporarily to train your vine onto the trellis. Hang the panels from
your eaves, about 1 foot down and a foot away from the wall of your
house. Use large hooks. Hang the panels adjacent to each other. After
they are hung, their vertical L-strips can be bolted together, making
one large trellis. This will be much stronger than a single large panel.

Sunset's "Western Garden Book" says that all Distictis becomes quite
heavy. Thus, you need a very sturdy trellis. Whether or not the vine
will cling to stucco, you really do not want it growing directly on your
house's walls. This is true with most vines. Otherwise, you might get
mold or insects infesting the walls.

--
David E. Ross

Donald Trump claims everyone likes him. Does that
include his ex-wives? How about the students who
discovered that their education at Trump University
was worthless? And how about the contractors,
suppliers, and employees he stiffed in his several
bankruptcies?
Old 05-11-2016, 07:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tuesday, November 1, 2016 at 10:00:56 AM UTC-7, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
I am putting a Distictis (Rivers) vine against a stucco garage wall. Prices for trellises are a factor, since I understand this vine spreads horizontally as well as vertically, so I would need to buy at least three,

As an alternative, I checked "netting" -- to use a loose term - and see much lower prices. Could I manage with a very strong netting, which I have seen advertised on several sites, properly secured from above on the garage roof. And secured on the sides -- how???

TIA

Thanks to all for valuable advice

1. sticking to stucco, I'm glad to hear that. The wall in question is the W. side of a decrepit garage, so I don't care if it damages the paint. Some sources I visited said it would NOT stick to stucco, so I went pricing trellises. Some are reasonable; some not. But I would have to bother a neighbor to bring them from nursery in his truck.

2. too heavy for netting, thanks; I've been told that before; you confirm.

3. David cautions against letting vine cling to stucco. "Otherwise, you might get mold or insects infesting the walls". How prevent/remove mold/insects if it happens?
What has been group experience in similar climates (So.Calif coastal)?

4. Thanks for David construct trellis advice. Me not so smart, but will keep on file.

Grateful for input; looking forward to more.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 4 Nov 2016 23:39:31 -0700 (PDT), Hypatia Nachshon
wrote:

[...]

It's very easy to construct a trellis, Home Depot/Lowe's sell fence
posts and grape stakes, was what I used when I was growing grapes... I
used the grape stakes for cross members but galvanized wire works too.
I would not attach a trellis to your building, attach it to fence
posts:
http://i64.tinypic.com/29yipdw.jpg
Grapes make a wonderful privacy screen:
http://i65.tinypic.com/21acu85.jpg
It's very little work to erect a trellis, and more length can always
be added. Fence posts come in various lenghts and configurations, I
used 8', 2' in the ground. The grape stakes were 8' lengths. I set
posts 4' apart. There's no need to tie grapes, they tie themselves
with their tendrills. A trellis for vines needs to be strong, vines
can get very heavy... which is why I strongly recommend to NOT attach
a vine trellis to a building. A vine will weigh twice as much when it
gets wet during rains, it can rip your building wall down, especially
with a little a little wind.
I keep a goodly supply of grape stakes at home, they are very handy
for gardeners for staking plants, and for many other projects.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/5/2016 12:12 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

http://i64.tinypic.com/29yipdw.jpg
Grapes make a wonderful privacy screen:
http://i65.tinypic.com/21acu85.jpg

Yo Shelly, you really should credit whomever
you've bootlegged those images from, butt pirate.

"warning-image stolen from google images"