Help identifying

Old 14-12-2016, 05:12 PM

Default Help identifying

Hi all I've been asked by a neighbour too plant some more of these plants does anyone know what they are called?

Old 14-12-2016, 10:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/14/2016 12:12 PM, chriz1 wrote:
Hi all I've been asked by a neighbour too plant some more of these
plants does anyone know what they are called?
'[image:
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k103/chriz2006_2006/700215CD-8187-4E2B-B853-F836CA5B47B1_zpsxqfnisis.jpg]'
(http://tinyurl.com/zgfw3d6)

'[image:
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k103/chriz2006_2006/FF1E283E-F138-47A9-8F99-A9D6A7876F60_zpstlxitmpz.jpg]'
(http://tinyurl.com/h36378r)
'[image:
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k103/chriz2006_2006/CF85120B-A24E-4A7D-B84A-E89120EED16C_zpsryvydxnd.jpg]'
(http://tinyurl.com/gptzqf6)

Where is it growing? Is it hardy there i.e. surviving the Winter (if you
have a winter wherever you are)?

Based on a quick look at the first picture I'd call it 'variegated flax
lily' Dianella tasmanica 'Variegata' but wouldn't bet the farm on it.
Old 15-12-2016, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by John McGaw View Post
On 12/14/2016 12:12 PM, chriz1 wrote:
Hi all I've been asked by a neighbour too plant some more of these
plants does anyone know what they are called?
'[image:
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k103/chriz2006_2006/700215CD-8187-4E2B-B853-F836CA5B47B1_zpsxqfnisis.jpg]'
(700215CD-8187-4E2B-B853-F836CA5B47B1_zpsxqfnisis.jpg Photo by chriz2006_2006 | Photobucket)

'[image:
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k103/chriz2006_2006/FF1E283E-F138-47A9-8F99-A9D6A7876F60_zpstlxitmpz.jpg]'
(FF1E283E-F138-47A9-8F99-A9D6A7876F60_zpstlxitmpz.jpg Photo by chriz2006_2006 | Photobucket)
'[image:
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k103/chriz2006_2006/CF85120B-A24E-4A7D-B84A-E89120EED16C_zpsryvydxnd.jpg]'
(CF85120B-A24E-4A7D-B84A-E89120EED16C_zpsryvydxnd.jpg Photo by chriz2006_2006 | Photobucket)

Where is it growing? Is it hardy there i.e. surviving the Winter (if you
have a winter wherever you are)?

Based on a quick look at the first picture I'd call it 'variegated flax
lily' Dianella tasmanica 'Variegata' but wouldn't bet the farm on it.
I live in west Wales near the coast
Old 15-12-2016, 08:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 14/12/16 17:12, chriz1 wrote:
Hi all I've been asked by a neighbour too plant some more of these
plants does anyone know what they are called?
'[image:
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k103/chriz2006_2006/700215CD-8187-4E2B-B853-F836CA5B47B1_zpsxqfnisis.jpg]'
(http://tinyurl.com/zgfw3d6)

It's a Phormium ("New Zealand Flax"). There are many cultivars and
hybrids which are variegated. Some are hardier than others. Take note
that some can get very big after several years, and their roots can go
down quite a way.

'[image:
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k103/chriz2006_2006/FF1E283E-F138-47A9-8F99-A9D6A7876F60_zpstlxitmpz.jpg]'
(http://tinyurl.com/h36378r)

It's a bit out of focus, but it looks like a Hebe to me. They usually
have white or purplish flowers, but there are a few with deep pink
flowers. I can't remember the names, but a Google search should find them.

'[image:
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k103/chriz2006_2006/CF85120B-A24E-4A7D-B84A-E89120EED16C_zpsryvydxnd.jpg]'
(http://tinyurl.com/gptzqf6)

Looks like Santolina chamaecyparissus ("cotton lavender").

--

Jeff
Old 15-12-2016, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff Layman[_2_] View Post
On 14/12/16 17:12, chriz1 wrote:
[...]

That's a brillaint help many thanks
Old 23-12-2016, 12:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thursday, December 15, 2016 at 12:50:37 AM UTC-8, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 14/12/16 17:12, chriz1 wrote:
[...]

NOT a Hebe! I have them all over the garden; no resemblaance. Probably Phormium which I also have -- but a squirrel destroyed one of them! Ever hear of that happening?!

Old 24-12-2016, 08:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 23/12/16 12:05, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
On Thursday, December 15, 2016 at 12:50:37 AM UTC-8, Jeff Layman wrote:
'[image:
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k103/chriz2006_2006/FF1E283E-F138-47A9-8F99-A9D6A7876F60_zpstlxitmpz.jpg]'
(http://tinyurl.com/h36378r)

It's a bit out of focus, but it looks like a Hebe to me. They usually
have white or purplish flowers, but there are a few with deep pink
flowers. I can't remember the names, but a Google search should find them.

NOT a Hebe! I have them all over the garden; no resemblaance. Probably Phormium which I also have -- but a squirrel destroyed one of them! Ever hear of that happening?!

Not a Hebe??!! I don't know what you have got growing, but if it doesn't
look like chriz1's photo, then /yours/ isn't a hebe.

Have a look at the photos on the Hebe Society's website. For example:
http://www.hebesoc.org/hebes/hebes_l/hebes_l.htm

--

Jeff
Old 13-01-2017, 01:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Saturday, December 24, 2016 at 12:33:31 AM UTC-8, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

Mine are Wiri Blush. Not shown on Hebe "Wiri" page, but similar to several of the other Wiris
with purple-ish flowers.