Old 09-05-2003, 06:08 AM
sti3402

Default Ring on my lawn

I have gotten a ring on my lawn were there is no grass and the middle is
darker then all the other grass. I don't know were it came from or how to
get rid of it can you please help me?
thank you

Old 09-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Pam

Iris Cohen wrote:

I have gotten a ring on my lawn were there is no grass and the middle is
darker then all the other grass.

These are called "fairy rings." It is caused by a fungus. You need to spray
with a fungicide and possibly remove some shade.

Contrary to this posting, "fairy ring" mushrooms are not harmful to anything
and do not require any treatment. Certainly no need to spray any more toxic
chemicals into the environment. They are the fruiting bodies of a fungus which
assists in the decompostion of woody elements (old tree roots, etc) under the
soil surface. They are temporary in nature, tending to be most prevelent in the
damp, cool temps of spring and will disappear with summer heat. Raking away the
'shrooms will satisfy appearance considerations. Improving soil fertility will
help as well, so consider aerating, thatching and applying appropriate
fertilizer as well.

pam - gardengal

Old 09-05-2003, 07:44 PM
paghat

In article , "sti3402"
wrote:

I have gotten a ring on my lawn were there is no grass and the middle is
darker then all the other grass. I don't know were it came from or how to
get rid of it can you please help me?
thank you

When the mushrooms erupt, you're supposed to go out in the moonlight &
dance around inside the ring rattling two sets of spoons while chanting
"OOM biggabiggabigga OOM biggabiggabigga, Oo woh Oo woh, yop yop
yidda-diddle!" After about an hour of this precise incantation, elves
will rise up out of the earth, & dryads issue from the bushes, & grant you
three boons if you are first willing to participate in their orgy.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 10-05-2003, 01:32 PM
Alan Illeman

sti3402 wrote in message ...
I have gotten a ring on my lawn were there is no grass and the middle is
darker then all the other grass. I don't know were it came from or how to
get rid of it can you please help me?
thank you

Maybe it's not a 'fairy ring' at all, maybe it's a crop circle.
Have you seen any alien spacecraft flying overhead recently ?

Old 13-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Iris Cohen

I have gotten a ring on my lawn were there is no grass and the middle is
darker then all the other grass.

These are called "fairy rings." It is caused by a fungus. You need to spray
with a fungicide and possibly remove some shade.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)