Old 03-10-2017, 06:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Exploding bean!

Hello all,

The other week I picked up a bean from a tree near our library. It had a velvety surface. It had been on the dinner table for the past week or so. Tonight when we were having some snacks all a sudden it exploded with a crack and spilled its seeds into the kitchen!

We first heard the noise but couldn't figure out what exploded. Then saw the pod split into half.

What is this plant? Does anybody know?

Picture is he https://plus.google.com/photos/photo...36055891075890

Thanks,

(I think I am in Sunset zone 15.)
Old 03-10-2017, 02:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/detail.php?pid=80

Old 04-10-2017, 11:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hello all,
The other week I picked up a bean from a tree near our library.
It had a velvety surface. It had been on the dinner table for the past week or so.
onight when we were having some snacks all a sudden it exploded with a crack
nd spilled its seeds into the kitchen!
We first heard the noise but couldn't figure out what exploded.
Then saw the pod split into half.
What is this plant? Does anybody know?
https://plus.google.com/photos/photo...36055891075890
Thanks,
(I think I am in Sunset zone 15.)

http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/detail.php?pid=80

Wow, it is from Central Asia. I am going to tell my friends from Central Asia about it.
Let's see if they have seen it in their region.
Thank you very much!

You are most welcome, indeed.
My best regards to all your treasured Asian friends.
The little weeping pea tree at my first home 1981- 87
would explode dramatically - if conditions were just right.
... not quite as loud as a fire-cracker - more like a small weak
lady-finger.
John T.

Old 05-10-2017, 02:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/detail.php?pid=80

Wow, it is from Central Asia. I am going to tell my friends from Central Asia about it.
Let's see if they have seen it in their region.
Thank you very much!

You are most welcome, indeed.
My best regards to all your treasured Asian friends.
The little weeping pea tree at my first home 1981- 87
would explode dramatically - if conditions were just right.
.. not quite as loud as a fire-cracker - more like a small weak
lady-finger.
John T.

These explosions can be dangerous if a seed hits your eye.

By the way, I think the Latin name for the plant comes from Kazakh "karagan". I do not quite know what it means but there is a town by that name in Kazakhstan (Boz Karagan https://goo.gl/maps/UEXuyZ4Xjuj), and one in Turkmenistan. If it was just "kara' it would mean "black" (related to the Japanese word "kuro"). I think it still has something to do with black. I looked up the Kazakh name for the plant, they call it "sary karagan", meaning "yellow karagan"!

Al

Old 06-10-2017, 05:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Monday, October 2, 2017 at 9:35:24 PM UTC-7, Al Tprk wrote:
Hello all,

The other week I picked up a bean from a tree near our library. It had a velvety surface. It had been on the dinner table for the past week or so. Tonight when we were having some snacks all a sudden it exploded with a crack and spilled its seeds into the kitchen!

We first heard the noise but couldn't figure out what exploded. Then saw the pod split into half.

What is this plant? Does anybody know?

Picture is he https://plus.google.com/photos/photo...36055891075890

Thanks,

(I think I am in Sunset zone 15.)

Looks a lot like wisteria, a vine, common in California and other areas. I have one in my yard. The pods do make a little cracking noise when they dry up and spill their seeds.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wister....2008.1.38.jpg
Old 13-10-2017, 03:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Hello all,
The other week I picked up a bean from a tree near our library.
It had a velvety surface. It had been on the dinner table for the past week or so.
onight when we were having some snacks all a sudden it exploded with a crack
nd spilled its seeds into the kitchen!
We first heard the noise but couldn't figure out what exploded.
Then saw the pod split into half.
What is this plant? Does anybody know?
https://plus.google.com/photos/photo...36055891075890
Thanks,
(I think I am in Sunset zone 15.)

Contact the FBI immediately. It's a bomb, set by terrorists. As soon as
you call the FBI, get out of that area, until the bomb squad checks out
everything. This is no joke, this is a serious threat, likely caused by
some Muslim terrorists.