Old 23-10-2017, 11:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Birds distroy too many plants in my garden!

On Sunday, April 14, 2002 at 8:01:10 AM UTC-5, catstone wrote:
This morning I admired the first little crocus in a sheltered corner of my
garden. A bit of yellow was just barely visible. Having learned from many
previous disasters, I went back to the house to get a protector for this
little beauty (I keep all the little plastic fruitbaskets, that f.ex. cherry
tomatoes get sold in). But I was too late. The beasts were already sitting
in the treebranches waiting! Anyhow, this one had no chance, but all of the
other crocus plants are covered now!

My main problem seem to be crocus flowers, pansies, silver mound and in
spring, almost any fresh looking green leaves on a number of different
flowers. Forget seeding lettuce etc....

I have had some success with these ugly plastic figures, that move, some
coloured plastic strips tied to a stick etc. But these beasts seem to learn
faster every year, that nothing can spoil their meal permanantly!

It happens year-round between nisting season and young birds growing up to
full size!
Now, the strange thing is, that I live on a farm with loads of cats
everywhere, three dogs....

What can I do to keep the birds (ugly big black ones) from eating my plants?

Just wanted to know that I believe you. I just caught two large crows eating my pansies. Caught them in the act. You are not crazy. I'm going to try something I heard on NPR. I am running some clear fishing line over the garden, above the flowers. Shouldn't be visible to the viewing public, just the birds. According to the show I heard discussing this, it works quite well. I'll try to let you know if it works.