Old 19-11-2017, 06:57 PM posted to bionet.plants,rec.gardens,rec.gardens
Ant Ant is offline

Default What is this fruit(?) found last week under these plants found in aSouthern CA(lifornia) rural home area?

http://imgur.com/a/L9LD1

Are they safe to eat?

Thank you in advance.
--
"An ant is over six feet tall when measured by its own foot-rule."
--Slovenian
Old 19-11-2017, 08:44 PM posted to bionet.plants,rec.gardens,rec.gardens

replying to Ant, Iggy wrote:
Chayote. I've never had it, but the flavor's supposed to be along the lines of
a weak pear. Its actually a vegetable and not a fruit, as it grows on a vine
and is part of the squash family.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/garden...ou-110088-.htm

Old 19-11-2017, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 09:57:34 -0800, Ant wrote:

http://imgur.com/a/L9LD1

Are they safe to eat?
Thank you in advance.

Give us a hint - is it 1 inch or 1 foot ?
or perhaps something in between ... geeesh.
John T.

Old 19-11-2017, 09:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

http://imgur.com/a/L9LD1

Are they safe to eat?
Thank you in advance.

Chayote. I've never had it, but the flavor's supposed to be along the lines of
a weak pear. Its actually a vegetable and not a fruit, as it grows on a vine
and is part of the squash family.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chayote

"Due to its purported cell-regenerative properties, it is believed as
a contemporary legend that this fruit caused the mummification of
people from the Colombian town of San Bernardo who extensively
consumed it. The very well preserved skin and flesh can be seen in the
mummies today"
John T.

Old 22-11-2017, 06:13 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ant Ant is offline

On 11/19/2017 12:31 PM, wrote:

http://imgur.com/a/L9LD1

Are they safe to eat?
Thank you in advance.

Chayote. I've never had it, but the flavor's supposed to be along the lines of
a weak pear. Its actually a vegetable and not a fruit, as it grows on a vine
and is part of the squash family.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chayote

According to
https://www.reddit.com/r/plants/comments/7e23yh/what_is_this_fruit_found_last_week_under_these/dq1vaxn/'s
comment, Araujia Sericifera's fruits is toxic.
--
"What, like I had to live with all those ants? Do you know what I did to
those ants? HoooHooo! No more ants!" --unknown
Old 22-11-2017, 06:14 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ant Ant is offline

On 11/19/2017 12:19 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 09:57:34 -0800, Ant wrote:

http://imgur.com/a/L9LD1

Are they safe to eat?
Thank you in advance.

Give us a hint - is it 1 inch or 1 foot ?
or perhaps something in between ... geeesh.

I'd say about 1.5".
--
"Left right left right we're army ants. We swarm we fight. We have no
home. We roam. We race. You're lucky if we miss your place." --Douglas
Old 22-11-2017, 05:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/21/2017 9:13 PM, Ant wrote:
On 11/19/2017 12:31 PM, wrote:

http://imgur.com/a/L9LD1

Are they safe to eat?
Thank you in advance.

Chayote. I've never had it, but the flavor's supposed to be along the lines of
a weak pear. Its actually a vegetable and not a fruit, as it grows on a vine
and is part of the squash family.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chayote

According to
https://www.reddit.com/r/plants/comments/7e23yh/what_is_this_fruit_found_last_week_under_these/dq1vaxn/'s
comment, Araujia Sericifera's fruits is toxic.

The link as presented by Thunderbird is 404. I even tried removing the
"'s", but that did not help. Then I tried removing mo "/'s". That
worked. In the future, please comply with RFC 3986 (Appendix C) by
bracketing URIs in text (as I do in my signature below for the URI to my
Web site).

--
David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

Am I the only one who noticed the following?
* President Trump issued executive orders
that increase health-care costs.
* The Republicans in Congress propose to
eliminate itemized deductions for
health-care costs.
Old 22-11-2017, 07:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 21:13:35 -0800, Ant wrote:
On 11/19/2017 12:31 PM, wrote:

http://imgur.com/a/L9LD1

Are they safe to eat?
Thank you in advance.

Chayote can be quite photogenic, for yoose with lacivious evil
mindsets as whomever took those pictures the image with the white
fluid oozing makes that image appear as a green (unripened) vulva
that's recently been impregnated.

Chayote. I've never had it, but the flavor's supposed to be along the lines of
a weak pear.

Eaten uncooked as in a salad its texture is not unlike an under ripe
pear but tastes nothing like a pear... chayote has very little if any
flavor, it takes on the flavor of whatever it's served with, chayote
can be said to be not unlike tofu... and when properly cooked has the
texture of firm tofu as well. Grown in a tropical clime chayote can
be quite prolific, hundreds of fruit per plant... in Central America
chayote is grown as a livestock crop.

Its actually a vegetable and not a fruit, as it grows on a vine
and is part of the squash family.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chayote

Chayote is actually a fruit, botanically all squash are fruit.

Old 23-11-2017, 10:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

Ant wrote:
On 11/19/2017 12:19 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 09:57:34 -0800, Ant wrote:

http://imgur.com/a/L9LD1

Are they safe to eat?
Thank you in advance.

Give us a hint - is it 1 inch or 1 foot ?
or perhaps something in between ... geeesh.

I'd say about 1.5".

Whatever it is I do not think it is a choco, (Chayote) In Australia we
used to eat tons of them,and make jam with them and they look nothing
like your picture.