Old 24-11-2017, 07:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens,rec.gardens
Ant Ant is offline

Default Which rodent made this new mound in a So. CA area?

http://imgur.com/a/KNFno

Was this big new mound made by a gopher, mole, etc. outside a rural
So(uthern) CA(lifornia) home? It appears yesterday's morning and got
bigger this morning.

Thank you in advance.
--
"If ants are such busy workers, how come they find time to go to all the
picnics?" --Marie Dressler
Old 24-11-2017, 10:02 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens,rec.gardens

On 11/24/2017 10:45 AM, Ant wrote:
http://imgur.com/a/KNFno

Was this big new mound made by a gopher, mole, etc. outside a rural
So(uthern) CA(lifornia) home? It appears yesterday's morning and got
bigger this morning.

Thank you in advance.

If there is no hole for entry and exit, it's a gopher. If there is a
hole, it's a ground squirrel.

--
David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

Am I the only one who noticed the following?
* President Trump issued executive orders
that increase health-care costs.
* The Republicans in Congress propose to
eliminate itemized deductions for
health-care costs.

Old 24-11-2017, 10:14 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens,rec.gardens

replying to Ant, Iggy wrote:
I'd vote for a Rat, they usually take up residence anywhere. Gopher's
typically nest away from anyone and anything that goes deep to have
omnidirectional escape, they only dig to access actively growing food.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/garden...ea-110101-.htm

Old 24-11-2017, 10:59 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens,rec.gardens

On 11/24/2017 1:45 PM, Ant wrote:
http://imgur.com/a/KNFno

Was this big new mound made by a gopher, mole, etc. outside a rural
So(uthern) CA(lifornia) home? It appears yesterday's morning and got bigger
this morning.

Thank you in advance.

I have no way to judge the scale. How big is the hole? Around here
(Tennessee) I would be inclined to say 'chipmunk' if the hole was the sort
of size that a ping-pong ball might plug it.

Old 25-11-2017, 02:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 24 Nov 2017 13:02:45 -0800, "David E. Ross"
wrote:

On 11/24/2017 10:45 AM, Ant wrote:
http://imgur.com/a/KNFno

Was this big new mound made by a gopher, mole, etc. outside a rural
So(uthern) CA(lifornia) home? It appears yesterday's morning and got
bigger this morning.

Thank you in advance.

If there is no hole for entry and exit, it's a gopher. If there is a
hole, it's a ground squirrel.

Could also easily be a mole or vole.. that picture shows very little
for determining what it is that's digging.
Old 25-11-2017, 06:23 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens,rec.gardens
Ant Ant is offline

On 11/24/2017 1:59 PM, John McGaw wrote:
On 11/24/2017 1:45 PM, Ant wrote:
http://imgur.com/a/KNFno

Was this big new mound made by a gopher, mole, etc. outside a rural
So(uthern) CA(lifornia) home? It appears yesterday's morning and got
bigger this morning.

Thank you in advance.

I have no way to judge the scale. How big is the hole? Around here
(Tennessee) I would be inclined to say 'chipmunk' if the hole was the
sort of size that a ping-pong ball might plug it.

I'd say about an inch. Posion were redropped into its holes and tunnels
again like near by. Also, an wireless motion detection camera to catch
it in the act if it is still alive again.
--
"I am always shocked that there are still a handful of defenders of the
dubious practice of abstinence, surely the worst idea since

Old 25-11-2017, 06:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

On 11/24/2017 10:45 AM, Ant wrote:
http://imgur.com/a/KNFno

Was this big new mound made by a gopher, mole, etc. outside a rural
So(uthern) CA(lifornia) home? It appears yesterday's morning and got
bigger this morning.

Thank you in advance.

If there is no hole for entry and exit, it's a gopher. If there is a
hole, it's a ground squirrel.

Could also easily be a mole or vole.. that picture shows very little
for determining what it is that's digging.

As is Ant, I too am in southern California. I have had gophers in my
garden. Not far from my house, ground squirrel undermined a significant
slope, endangering homes both at the top and bottom; a significant sum
was spent to repair the slope in a way that ground squirrels would no
longer be a problem. I have not heard of moles or voles causing
problems in this area.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 25-11-2017, 07:38 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens,rec.garden
Ant Ant is offline

http://image.prntscr.com/image/z2A-n...Gljo84R1Xw.jpg for a more far
out shot.

On 11/24/2017 10:45 AM, Ant wrote:
http://imgur.com/a/KNFno

Was this big new mound made by a gopher, mole, etc. outside a rural
So(uthern) CA(lifornia) home? It appears yesterday's morning and got
bigger this morning.

Thank you in advance. :

--
"Antacid: What ants use to get high." --unknown
Old 27-11-2017, 03:57 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens,rec.gardens

I'd get a game camera or one that is triggered by motion
and set it up to see what comes to or from the hole.

It might have been a xxx but now it can be a snake that went
in to eat the xxx.

Martin