Old 16-12-2017, 03:56 PM
Registered User

Default Problem With Palm

Hi,
Not sure which palm this is but we have noticed the leaves are turning yellow, wondered if its because of the cold as it was -2 degrees last night. At the moment we have wrapped it in fleece, is this the right thing to do. It came from my elderly mother about four years ago, she lived in Cornwall and we live in Devon. It does'nt seem to grow much and we have moved it around the garden without success. Well it has taken root in its present location as we cant get it out and its only been there six months.

Regards
Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Problem With Palm-palm-1.jpg   Problem With Palm-palm-2.jpg   Problem With Palm-palm-3.jpg
Old 16-12-2017, 11:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 16 Dec 2017 14:56:49 +0000, nascar24 wrote:

Hi,
Not sure which palm this is but we have noticed the leaves are turning
yellow, wondered if its because of the cold as it was -2 degrees last
night. At the moment we have wrapped it in fleece, is this the right
thing to do. It came from my elderly mother about four years ago, she
lived in Cornwall and we live in Devon. It does'nt seem to grow much and
we have moved it around the garden without success. Well it has taken
root in its present location as we cant get it out and its only been
there six months.

Regards
Alan

|Filename: palm 1.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16605|
|Filename: palm 2.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16606|
|Filename: palm 3.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16607|

My guess is that it's a Washingtonia, W. robusta or W. filifera. W. robusta
is hardy to about -6oC, and W. filifera to -9oC when established. W.
filifera is less welcoming of moist soils, while W. robusta will tolerate
a little more water.

Both species prefer full sun, but will tolerate partial shade.

[IMG] code is On

Palm Tree ID + little palm? mgunnill United Kingdom 6 15-06-2010 12:03 PM
Supply Sago Palm (Cycas revolute), Finger Palm (Rhapis ,Windmill palm (Trachycarpus garrytsen Marketplace 0 24-08-2005 02:11 AM
majestic palm seeding problem Martin Australia 0 16-04-2004 05:33 AM
majestic palm problem Martin Gardening 0 16-04-2004 05:32 AM
Queen Palm Tree Problem John Keller Gardening 3 25-03-2004 09:35 AM