GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Catalog Companies or One Company With Many Aliases (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/215258-re-catalog-companies-one-company-many-aliases.html)

John McGaw 24-03-2018 02:30 PM

Catalog Companies or One Company With Many Aliases

On 3/15/2018 11:21 AM, John McGaw wrote:
Everybody seems to get a few catalogs but this is getting ridiculous. I
have what seems to be one company operating under numerous aliases
bombarding me with catalogs. Problem is that the actual plant materials
I've gotten from them has been utter rubbish. Here is a list:

Burgess Seed & Plant Co.
Farmer Seed and Nursery
Dutch Gardens
Royal Dutch Gardens (presumably more noble than the regular Dutch)
Inter-State Nurseries
Kelly Nurseries
Exciting Gardens
Four Seasons Nursery
Honeycreek Nurseries
and there may be more that I've already tossed into the recycling bin...

Why would any reputable company even try to pull this off? Why would they
be so stupid as to use the same customer number on every catalog? Why would
they use the same photography and the same prose style in each? Printing
and sending so much paper rubbish rather than quality plant materials does
not seem to be a sane business model (or is it?)

It seems that they are even worse than I thought. I just got a new catalog
from somebody calling themselves "House of Wesley" but by some miracle of
coincidence the customer number on this one matches that on all of the
others and by an even further coincidence they have roughly the same
address as the others. It makes me wonder if they are trying to keep ahead
of the authorities with all of these obviously fake names. Or maybe since I
sent a stern warning to them demanding to be removed from the mailing list
for the first nine they have generated a new alias just for me. Sigh...