Old 05-06-2018, 12:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default House plants

On Tuesday, April 24, 2018 at 9:51:54 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
* Couldn't find a newsgroup that addresses house plants , so I'll ask
here . I have recently started with African violets , and have a
question . I have the plants in a bathroom because it's more humid on
average . The question is about light , the lights in that bathroom are
on 24/7 , we use it as a night light . I got to wondering if this is bad
for the African violets . The spider plant in there has been doing very
well , as have other plants . There is also a planter of Achimenes in
there , and since it's related to the violets I wonder about it too .
They're not showing any signs of stress , but I still wonder if this is
the best thing for them .

Most bathroom lighting does not emit anything close to the spectrum of
natural sunlight. Unless your African violets are in a sunny window
they will suffer. Even the so called "Grow Lights" one can buy don't
really help much.
I used to be into African violets. There's a huge store/greenhouse in
upstate NY that specializes in african violets, a huge operation, I've
been there several times. If you have questions they are who to ask.
http://lyndonlyon.com/

[IMG] code is On

Frugal silk plants? Or real house plants? [email protected] Gardening 26 11-03-2011 09:03 PM
Dendrobium bigibbum house in Full Flower - bigibbum house.JPG [1/1] Graham Corbin Orchid Photos 12 23-04-2007 10:02 AM
Oversized house plants, why?? Graslokar Gardening 6 30-03-2003 05:20 PM
House Plants James Dower Gardening 11 09-02-2003 03:36 PM
North side of house - insane plants? Cereoid+10 Gardening 8 07-02-2003 07:59 AM