Old 24-04-2018, 02:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default House plants

Â* Couldn't find a newsgroup that addresses house plants , so I'll ask
here . I have recently started with African violets , and have a
question . I have the plants in a bathroom because it's more humid on
average . The question is about light , the lights in that bathroom are
on 24/7 , we use it as a night light . I got to wondering if this is bad
for the African violets . The spider plant in there has been doing very
well , as have other plants . There is also a planter of Achimenes in
there , and since it's related to the violets I wonder about it too .
They're not showing any signs of stress , but I still wonder if this is
the best thing for them .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Old 24-04-2018, 11:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Terry Coombs wrote:

Â* Couldn't find a newsgroup that addresses house plants , so I'll ask
here . I have recently started with African violets , and have a
question . I have the plants in a bathroom because it's more humid on
average . The question is about light , the lights in that bathroom are
on 24/7 , we use it as a night light . I got to wondering if this is bad
for the African violets . The spider plant in there has been doing very
well , as have other plants . There is also a planter of Achimenes in
there , and since it's related to the violets I wonder about it too .
They're not showing any signs of stress , but I still wonder if this is
the best thing for them .

i'm pretty sure that all plants have a time of
resting at night and may over the long term need
it to be healthy.

i'd put a much smaller/dimmer night light in
a hallway or other location that will ligth the
way well enough but not interfere in your own
health (having any light on all night isn't
good for people either).

songbird
Old 25-04-2018, 03:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/24/2018 5:51 PM, songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

[...]

I'll move the plants ... the way the house is laid out we can't see the
light . It's just to keep from running into thing on those midnight
bathroom runs .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Old 25-04-2018, 11:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

Terry Coombs wrote:
I'll move the plants ... the way the house is laid out we can't see the
light . It's just to keep from running into thing on those midnight
bathroom runs .

i can't stand the idea of leaving lights on
at night. tiny LED night light would be as far
as i'd go if i needed one.

around here i can navigate at night by all
the little light sources that are on (stove
clock, microwave clock, plugs, stereo power,
etc). some of them we cover up with other
things because we don't want to see them all
the time.

songbird
Old 25-04-2018, 12:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 08:53:19 -0500, Terry Coombs wrote:

The question is about light , the lights in that bathroom are
on 24/7 , we use it as a night light . I got to wondering if this is bad
for the African violets .

Having the lights on 24/7 seems like a lot of light. I find these night
lights to be more than adequate in my bathrooms for nighttime use. I also
have them in my halls, and I never turn on any hall lights.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A3F1MZE

Not that the way positioned in the picture makes little sense. The
objective is to light the floor, not the upper reaches of the room.

Don http://foraging.com/ e-mail at page bottom.

Old 25-04-2018, 12:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/25/2018 5:25 AM, songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
I'll move the plants ... the way the house is laid out we can't see the
light . It's just to keep from running into thing on those midnight
bathroom runs .

i can't stand the idea of leaving lights on
at night. tiny LED night light would be as far
as i'd go if i needed one.

around here i can navigate at night by all
the little light sources that are on (stove
clock, microwave clock, plugs, stereo power,
etc). some of them we cover up with other
things because we don't want to see them all
the time.

songbird

Â* That bathroom light gives just enough in the bedroom to see the dog
.... ever tripped over a 70+ pound dog when you got up in the night to pee ?

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Old 25-04-2018, 02:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

Terry Coombs wrote:
Â* That bathroom light gives just enough in the bedroom to see the dog
... ever tripped over a 70+ pound dog when you got up in the night to pee ?

no pets here (other than the worms ).

i like animals and such, but other people's pets
are enough for me. i sure don't want any of my own
at the moment. i don't like noise in general and am
a fairly light sleeper sometimes. night time agents
of chaos go firmly outside (Flintstones, meet the
Flintstones...) and stay there until they meet their
maker/hunter/coyote/vehicle/etc.

songbird
Old 25-04-2018, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 25 Apr 2018 07:15:07 -0400, Don Wiss
wrote:

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 08:53:19 -0500, Terry Coombs wrote:

The question is about light , the lights in that bathroom are
on 24/7 , we use it as a night light . I got to wondering if this is bad
for the African violets .

Having the lights on 24/7 seems like a lot of light. I find these night
lights to be more than adequate in my bathrooms for nighttime use. I also
have them in my halls, and I never turn on any hall lights.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A3F1MZE

Not that the way positioned in the picture makes little sense. The
objective is to light the floor, not the upper reaches of the room.

I purchased a 6-pack of the same night lights. LEDs don't need to
have bulbs changed every couple of months. We have night lights for
the cats... it's very annoying stepping barefoot on squishy hairballs.
Old 25-04-2018, 04:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/25/2018 8:48 AM, songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
Â* That bathroom light gives just enough in the bedroom to see the dog
... ever tripped over a 70+ pound dog when you got up in the night to pee ?

no pets here (other than the worms ).

i like animals and such, but other people's pets
are enough for me. i sure don't want any of my own
at the moment. i don't like noise in general and am
a fairly light sleeper sometimes. night time agents
of chaos go firmly outside (Flintstones, meet the
Flintstones...) and stay there until they meet their
maker/hunter/coyote/vehicle/etc.

songbird

Â* I've had dogs almost all my life , wouldn't know what to do without
one . Max is a great alarm system , we know right away when we have
company . He's also very protective of us , a good thing out here in the
woods . I suspect the local bear was up the hill this morning , Max was
going nuts wanting to go up there - which is unusual . His breed -
Mountain Cur - was bred for hunting , herding , and protection by early
settlers in the Appalachians . I have no doubt he'd tackle a bear ,
though the outcome is uncertain .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Old 25-04-2018, 04:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 08:53:19 -0500, Terry Coombs wrote:

The question is about light , the lights in that bathroom are
on 24/7 , we use it as a night light . I got to wondering if this is bad
for the African violets .

Having the lights on 24/7 seems like a lot of light. I find these night
lights to be more than adequate in my bathrooms for nighttime use. I also
have them in my halls, and I never turn on any hall lights.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A3F1MZE

Not that the way positioned in the picture makes little sense. The
objective is to light the floor, not the upper reaches of the room.

I purchased a 6-pack of the same night lights. LEDs don't need to
have bulbs changed every couple of months. We have night lights for
the cats... it's very annoying stepping barefoot on squishy hairballs.

Â* Mostly because they scratch and bite ...

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Old 25-04-2018, 06:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

You don't want your pet dog taking on a bear, a 75 pound dog has no
chance against a 300 pound black bear... a bear is stronger, faster,
and can even climb trees. This mommy with babies was hanging out in
my yard about a month ago:
https://postimg.cc/image/tzmmbsnzv/
https://postimg.cc/image/blc37xeaz/
The only chance your hunting dog could have is if it's toting a .30
caliber rifle.
Old 25-04-2018, 06:36 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.food.cooking

In article , penmart01
@aol.com Sheldon says...
This mommy with babies was hanging out in
my yard about a month ago:
https://imgur.com/a/MMpxDK8

OMG! What a crew!
Old 25-04-2018, 10:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens

In article , says...

On 4/25/2018 1:47 PM, Gary wrote:
NotCheri wrote:
In article , penmart01
@aol.com Sheldon says...
This mommy with babies was hanging out in
my yard about a month ago:
https://imgur.com/a/MMpxDK8

OMG! What a crew!

Disturbing.

* Interesting how a post I made in a totally unrelated group shows up
here ...

It's cross posted, dimbulb.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/25/2018 11:06 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 4/25/2018 8:48 AM, songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
Â* Â* That bathroom light gives just enough in the bedroom to see the dog
... ever tripped over a 70+ pound dog when you got up in the night to
pee ?

Â*Â* no pets here (other than the worms ).

Â*Â* i like animals and such, but other people's pets
are enough for me.Â* i sure don't want any of my own
at the moment.Â* i don't like noise in general and am
a fairly light sleeper sometimes.Â* night time agents
of chaos go firmly outside (Flintstones, meet the
Flintstones...) and stay there until they meet their
maker/hunter/coyote/vehicle/etc.

Â*Â* songbird

Â* I've had dogs almost all my life , wouldn't know what to do without
one . Max is a great alarm system , we know right away when we have
company . He's also very protective of us , a good thing out here in the
woods . I suspect the local bear was up the hill this morning , Max was
going nuts wanting to go up there - which is unusual . His breed -
Mountain Cur - was bred for hunting , herding , and protection by early
settlers in the Appalachians . I have no doubt he'd tackle a bear ,
though the outcome is uncertain .

Dogs are good for security & companionship, but for midnight bathroom
runs I like a nice short string of LED decorative lights draped over the
mirror. Well...maybe not as good for men as for women, since we don't
have to aim. But fairly sufficient for both of us. Anyway, I can now
finally turn off my closet light in the hall between the bed & the bath
- which didn't help much once I got in there anyway even for a squatter.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tuesday, April 24, 2018 at 9:51:54 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â* Couldn't find a newsgroup that addresses house plants , so I'll ask
here . I have recently started with African violets , and have a
question . I have the plants in a bathroom because it's more humid on
average . The question is about light , the lights in that bathroom are
on 24/7 , we use it as a night light . I got to wondering if this is bad
for the African violets . The spider plant in there has been doing very
well , as have other plants . There is also a planter of Achimenes in
there , and since it's related to the violets I wonder about it too .
They're not showing any signs of stress , but I still wonder if this is
the best thing for them .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on
peace of mind - Zac Brown

http://www.avsa.org/

This link is to African Violet Society of America. I'm guessing 24 hr light at the levels you have won't hurt the plants but check website for more info.

[IMG] code is On

Frugal silk plants? Or real house plants? [email protected] Gardening 26 11-03-2011 09:03 PM
Dendrobium bigibbum house in Full Flower - bigibbum house.JPG [1/1] Graham Corbin Orchid Photos 12 23-04-2007 10:02 AM
Oversized house plants, why?? Graslokar Gardening 6 30-03-2003 05:20 PM
House Plants James Dower Gardening 11 09-02-2003 03:36 PM
North side of house - insane plants? Cereoid+10 Gardening 8 07-02-2003 07:59 AM