Old 09-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Mceezee

Default Rose bushes at Home Depot

I was in Home Depot this afternoon - they had some rose bushes advertised for
$3.97 - I almost picked one up but wasn't sure about the "quality" of these
rose bushes - I have had other "cheap" ones in the past that didn't make it.
These were fully guaranteed up to one year though. I still may go back and
purchase one this weekend.
Old 10-05-2003, 05:20 AM
JNJ

I was in Home Depot this afternoon - they had some rose bushes advertised
for
$3.97 - I almost picked one up but wasn't sure about the "quality" of

these
rose bushes - I have had other "cheap" ones in the past that didn't make

it.
These were fully guaranteed up to one year though. I still may go back

and
purchase one this weekend.

I think this really depends on the HD. I bought some here in Cincy and none
have fared very well. I've had better luck with nursery bought roses. The
HD here did not take very good care of their stock at all.

James

Old 10-05-2003, 12:56 PM
Dwayne

If the rose bushes are in a pot or a large bag with a lot of dirt, and it
has been kept moist, they should be good. If they have been packed nearly
bare root in a plastic container you have less of a chance to get a good
one.

How long have you seen these roses at the store? If they just came in
within the last week or so, you probably will be OK. If they have been
there for a month, look out, unless the store has a good reputation for
taking care of their plants on a daily basis. Some don't even water them,
unless it rains, and they happen to be setting outside.

Dwayne

Old 10-05-2003, 02:20 PM
bryan lafleur

Variety selection is your only concern, I think. The fact that HD
unconditionally warranties all their plants (even annuals) for one
year makes the quality issue a non issue. If they are recommended
varieties for your area, what have you got to lose. If they are
container plants, they can be planted anytime, the dormant season
thing only applies to bare root.

Bryan

Old 10-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Sunflower

"Mceezee" wrote in message

I was in Home Depot this afternoon - they had some rose bushes advertised

for
$3.97 - I almost picked one up but wasn't sure about the "quality" of

these
rose bushes - I have had other "cheap" ones in the past that didn't make

it.
These were fully guaranteed up to one year though. I still may go back

and
purchase one this weekend.

The insidious problem of Rose Mosaic Virus may not manifest itself in a rose
for 3 or more years---long after the warranty expires. Most of the
suppliers of cheap roses in this country have fields riddled with RMV
infected stock which they then pass along at wholesale prices to big box
stores and to consumers who have no idea about the complex of diseases that
can debilitate and ultimately kill a rose. Most people think they can't
grow roses because they are "fussy", never realizing that they growers have
built in an "expiration date" into the merchandise that keeps them from ever
succeeding in the first place. Rose Mosaic Virus may manifest itself in
mosaic like symptoms on the leaves in early spring, or subtle watermarking,
or vein clearing, or a combination of all of these symptoms----or NO
physically identifying symptom at all other than "failure to thrive". If
you've ever grown a cheapo rose purchase and done the soil prep properly,
put it in full sun, sprayed it for foliar diseases, and it still didn't
thrive, then you may be one of the victims of the low cost rose growers with
dirty stock.

Besides, much of the time, these cheapo roses are mislabeled and poor
quality to begin with. Last year, I saw row after row of obviously
mislabeled roses at HD. The low cost "canners" will often take whatever is
left over from a big wholesale order and put whatever label on it they think
will sell (that is out of patent) and resell it at below wholesale to the
big box stores. A red rose--that's Mr. Lincoln. A white one--that's JFK.
To someone who knows a bit about roses, it's totally obvioius that it's
Altissimo and Sally Holmes instead! But, most of the public won't know, and
they view roses as disposable creatures anyway rather than plants that are
able to give 100+ years of joy and beauty if properly selected and planted.

So, if you want to grow a rose as an annual, and don't care about if it's
properly named, and want to financially reward criminal business practices,
then go ahead and purchase a big box store roses. If you want to invest in a
rose as a lifetime home improvement project, then seek out the smaller
nurseries that carry J&P (attempting to get all of their stock virus free)
or Weeks (ditto) roses. (Avoid Star or Certified) There are also many small
own root nurseries that sell mail order and have the expertise to help you
select a rose that will be suited to your climate and gardening style. At
www.chambleeroses.com/ roses cost $10 to be delivered to your door. And,
you can't beat the quality and service of a family run business. They'll
even try to talk you out of a rose if they think it won't thrive in your
garden under your care regimen. Try and get that at Home Depot!

Sunflower
MS 7b

Old 11-05-2003, 01:44 AM
TOM KAN PA

You'll be further ahead with the $4 rosebush than with a $4 lottery ticket.

Old 15-05-2003, 02:56 AM
Theo

I purchased a bare root rose vine from home depot last month. I too
was skeptical but the vine is doing great. So far. With in a month
it has grown from 0" to a foot. i think you should buy it. All you
can lose is 4 dollars but if it doesn't die, you'll be rewarded with
beautiful roses. Good luck.

[IMG] code is On

New bushes from Home Depot Me Roses 4 29-01-2004 03:45 AM
New bushes from Home Depot Me Roses 0 29-01-2004 01:56 AM
Shade cloth at Home Depot? [email protected] Orchids 17 01-09-2003 05:22 PM
Salt at Home Depot or Lowes? Bob Ponds 3 12-05-2003 12:45 AM
whats' the chroma 50 bulb from wall mart or home depot Wynand Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:15 AM