Old 24-06-2018, 02:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Controlling adventitious growth of oleander

There is a large (multiple 5" trunks) oleander growing next
to a walkway. Some unwanted trunks have been cut, and they produce
a dense growth of buds, which intrude on the walkway and have to
be laboriously cut away lest they obstruct traffic.

Can glyphosate be used to kill the vegetative growth near the ground
without killing the entire tree? It wouldn't be a disaster if I did
kill it, but it'd be better not to. If I kill it I'll be duty bound
to remove it, and that looks like a big job 8-)

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Old 24-06-2018, 04:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/23/2018 6:11 PM, bob prohaska wrote:
There is a large (multiple 5" trunks) oleander growing next
to a walkway. Some unwanted trunks have been cut, and they produce
a dense growth of buds, which intrude on the walkway and have to
be laboriously cut away lest they obstruct traffic.

Can glyphosate be used to kill the vegetative growth near the ground
without killing the entire tree? It wouldn't be a disaster if I did
kill it, but it'd be better not to. If I kill it I'll be duty bound
to remove it, and that looks like a big job 8-)

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Glyphosate applied in sufficient amount to kill some growth is likely to
kill the entire plant. If you are in southern California, just wait. A
blight is killing oleanders from San Diego all the way to Thousand Oaks
and is likely to spread farther.

--
David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

Attorney-General Sessions claims the bible favors imprisoning illegal
aliens. However, God repeatedly commanded us to welcome the stranger in
our land. For example, see the following:
Exodus 22:20 at
http://bible.ort.org/books/pentd2.asp?ACTION=displaypage&BOOK=2&CHAPTER=22#P2 131
Exodus 23:9 at
http://bible.ort.org/books/pentd2.asp?ACTION=displaypage&BOOK=2&CHAPTER=23#P2 151
Deuteronomy 10:19 at
http://bible.ort.org/books/pentd2.asp?ACTION=displaypage&BOOK=5&CHAPTER=10#P5 200
Old 25-06-2018, 02:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

David E. Ross wrote:
On 6/23/2018 6:11 PM, bob prohaska wrote:
There is a large (multiple 5" trunks) oleander growing next
to a walkway. Some unwanted trunks have been cut, and they produce
a dense growth of buds, which intrude on the walkway and have to
be laboriously cut away lest they obstruct traffic.

Can glyphosate be used to kill the vegetative growth near the ground
without killing the entire tree? It wouldn't be a disaster if I did
kill it, but it'd be better not to. If I kill it I'll be duty bound
to remove it, and that looks like a big job 8-)

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Glyphosate applied in sufficient amount to kill some growth is likely to
kill the entire plant. If you are in southern California, just wait. A
blight is killing oleanders from San Diego all the way to Thousand Oaks
and is likely to spread farther.

Is there any hope just west of Sacramento?

8-)

bob prohaska

Old 25-06-2018, 02:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/24/2018 6:25 PM, bob prohaska wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
[...]

Yes, it will be several years before the blight can spread that far.
Perhaps, it will take long enough that a cure or prevention might be
discovered before then.

Old 25-06-2018, 05:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

David E. Ross wrote:
[...]

I can be patient. In the meantime, the only method I know to suppress
stump sprouting is light-tight covering, which is difficult in this case.
The oleander actually belongs to a very understanding neighbor, but their
mow-and-blow service will likely remove deep mulch and a solid cover will
be both difficult to fit and unsightly. Is there a better way?

Thanks for reading!

bob prohaska

Old 25-06-2018, 11:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

David E. Ross wrote:
[...]

Often, the recommendation is to leave the collar that formed around the
base of any branch or shoot you remove. When you use pruning or lopping
shears to remove shoots, however, new shoots might sprout from the
collar or any stub you leave. To reduce the growth of new shoots, cut
away any stub and its collar using a small pruning saw.