Old 14-08-2018, 02:06 PM
Registered User

Default Thorny hedge

Hello,

I am thinking to plant some thorny shrubs along my neighbor's fence. A couple of years ago he replaced his wooden fence but the new one is barely 1.50m high while the older was about 1.80, so now I have lost privacy and by law he is not obliged to make it higher. I asked him already a couple of times if he would do something but he does not care. Besides he now has got a cat that easily jumps the fence and use my garden as a toilette. I have tried most of the usual remedies but they won't really work. I think that a thorny hedge can stop the cat and will give me back my privacy at the same time. I would like to buy thorny shrubs that can be also decorative for the garden and that do not grow too thick as they may damage the neighbor's fence which is already in a bad condition. I was thinking to plant the shrubs 30-40cm from the fence and maintain it about 1.80-2m high and about 40cm thick. I like pyracantha but I am concerned it may grow too thick. What plant would you suggest is right for me?

Many thanks,

egit123
Old 14-08-2018, 03:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/14/2018 6:06 AM, egit123 wrote:
[...]

You want it to grow quite thick if you want it to stop a cat. You also
want it to have growth at the base, or the cat will merely walk under it.

Some forms of holly (Illex) have prickly leaves that are as bad as
thorns. Depending on your climate, pyracantha could be perfect.

--
David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com

Too often, Twitter is a source of verbal vomit. Examples include Donald
Trump and Roseanne Barr.
Old 14-08-2018, 05:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 14:06:20 +0100, egit123
wrote:

[...]

The easy solution is to plant an attractive wooden privacy fence
that's taller than the neighbors'.... you won't have to look at the
neighbor's fence and you can plant whatever you like along your fence.
As for the cat, there really isn't any hedge that will deter a cat,
perhaps closely spaced bamboo. Cats will have trouble scaling a
chainlink fence and there are colorful privacy slats that can be
slipped into the fence, however chainlink is not very attractive
regardless.

Old 14-08-2018, 09:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/14/2018 7:53 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
[...]

Also consider closely spaced junipers. The shrub types can be quite
prickly.

Old 15-08-2018, 08:39 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

You look like my dick..after I'm done ****ing, Shelly.

[IMG] code is On

Wanted: Deadly, Thorny Shrub Doug Kanter Gardening 54 03-12-2004 11:01 PM
A thorny problem Peter and Susan Australia 11 19-07-2004 09:12 PM
Thorny shrubs sw United Kingdom 19 17-05-2003 10:56 AM
Thorny sugestions Sheepkeeper Roses 6 07-05-2003 02:20 PM
thorny vine ID? kate Gardening 5 06-02-2003 02:36 PM