Old 01-03-2003, 01:27 AM
Phil

Default Arborvitae Hedge ' Emerald Green'

I need advice on a privacy hedge for my back yard.

I need privacy from my neighbors and I have a shallow backyard. I
would like an evergreen hedge that is 10 feet tall but no more than 4
feet wide. Of course I'd like something fast growing. Does anyone
have any better ideas then Arborvitae Hedge ' Emerald Green'? I am
not a huge fan but don't anything else. I love hollies, but do they
grow fast and are there any tall and narrow varieties?

Thanks,

Phil
Old 01-03-2003, 03:15 AM
Iris Cohen

I would like an evergreen hedge that is 10 feet tall but no more than 4 feet
wide.
Does anyone have any better ideas then Arborvitae Hedge ' Emerald Green'?

'Emerald' arborvitae is a lovely year round hedge, but it is not fast growing.
I have a hedge of it I planted about 6 years ago. It will not be 10 feet tall
for another 6 or 10 years. I solved the problem meanwhile by planting a vine on
the fence. That should fill in in a couple of years. If the area has full sun,
consider one of the very narrow junipers, like 'Skyrocket.'

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 01-03-2003, 09:03 AM
gregpresley

your zone would help
Taking a walk today, I saw that someone had planted a hedge of Schipka
laurels as a hedge. I thought it was a bit marginal here for hedging, but it
was glorious to see the glossy fairly bright broad-leaf evergreen leaves
today instead of the ubiquitous arborvitaes and Oregon Grapes, and it didn't
appear to have any leaf or limb damage. I am on the border of zone 5/6.
Greg
om...

Old 02-03-2003, 01:03 AM
flicker

Like others have already posted, Emerald Green is not a fast growing
arborvitae. The cultivar 'Nigra' is a good fast grower.

Bianca
Long Island
Zone 6-7
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Old 13-03-2003, 07:32 PM
J Bertilson

Beware of fast growing plants. When they get to the desired height, they don't
automatically stop growing but will continue to grow and require heavy pruning
every year there after. If you want a quicker arborvitae hedge and you can afford
it, by larger plants.

JAB

Old 19-03-2003, 01:56 PM
michele

2 years ago I planted 18 Pyramidal Arborvitae - my neighbor had a
"camper" in his yard which I didn't want to see. They have grown up
about 2 feet so far and seem to be about 3-4 feet wide. I am
extremely happy with the privacy they have provided and not one of
them died! When I purchased the plants they were approx 5-6 feet
tall. They have definitely done their job! just a suggestion...