GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   broken amaryllis (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/215821-broken-amaryllis.html)

[email protected] 16-12-2018 11:33 AM

broken amaryllis

Similar question for you. One of my cats knocked my amaryllis over and all the flowering stems were broken in the fall. (It literally just began to bloom 2 days ago.) Is it possible, with support, to save the current stems and buds or will i have to cut it back?

songbird[_2_] 16-12-2018 12:01 PM

broken amaryllis

wrote:
Similar question for you. One of my cats knocked my amaryllis over and all the flowering stems were broken in the fall. (It literally just began to bloom 2 days ago.) Is it possible, with support, to save the current stems and buds or will i have to cut it back?

the quicker you notice and prop them back up the
better the chances.

does it hurt anything to try? splint them like a
broken limb. wrap some card stock around them and
tie it in place, but not too tight that it bruises
the plant.

songbird

[email protected] 16-12-2018 08:37 PM

broken amaryllis

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 songbird wrote:
mitsutaisho wrote:

Similar question for you. One of my cats knocked my amaryllis over and all the flowering stems were broken in the fall. (It literally just began to bloom 2 days ago.) Is it possible, with support, to save the current stems and buds or will i have to cut it back?

the quicker you notice and prop them back up the
better the chances.

does it hurt anything to try? splint them like a
broken limb. wrap some card stock around them and
tie it in place, but not too tight that it bruises
the plant.

A good use for an old nylon stocking.

Kay Lancaster 16-12-2018 11:42 PM

broken amaryllis

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 02:33:04 -0800 (PST), wrote:
Similar question for you. One of my cats knocked my amaryllis over and all the flowering stems were broken in the fall. (It literally just began to bloom 2 days ago.) Is it possible, with support, to save the current stems and buds or will i have to cut it back?

Splint it fairly far above and below the break, not just a short
distance... I'd probably use chopsticks and packing tape or yarn...
and it'll probably manage to bloom.

The little pre-planted kits with the lightweight soil substitute are
so very lightweight, that the plants tend to flip the pots about bloom
time. I long ago learned to replant the bulb in a standard clay
bulb pan with real soil so they could stand up.

Kay (who always seems to get a couple of those as holiday presents)

Jack Granade 20-12-2018 05:39 PM

broken amaryllis

Sheldon wrote:
A good use for an old nylon stocking.

No one asked what you use to wank off with, Sheldon.