GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bumble Bees drilling holes into my wood fence! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/21596-bumble-bees-drilling-holes-into-my-wood-fence.html)

Randy 13-05-2003 12:20 AM

Bumble Bees drilling holes into my wood fence!

I sure wish I could still get DDT! I own a log home and these
horrible carpenter bees are devistating many of the logs. None of the
current pesticides seem to do anything. I think they just eat it.
These bees are good for nothing, they don't pollinate anything. I
sure hope these stupid idiot tree huggers get a grip and quit trying
to make everything illegal or all the trees will be dead. They quit
spraying for gypsy moths in parts of Virginia a few years ago and many
of the trees in the National Parks are dead as a result. Point is,
some pests are harmful to our way of life and should be exterminated.

SAS567 13-05-2003 03:56 AM

Bumble Bees drilling holes into my wood fence!

I sure wish I could still get DDT! I own a log home and these
horrible carpenter bees are devistating many of the logs. None of the
current pesticides seem to do anything. I think they just eat it.
These bees are good for nothing, they don't pollinate anything. I
sure hope these stupid idiot tree huggers get a grip and quit trying
to make everything illegal or all the trees will be dead. They quit
spraying for gypsy moths in parts of Virginia a few years ago and many
of the trees in the National Parks are dead as a result. Point is,
some pests are harmful to our way of life and should be exterminated.

AMEN!!!!!
They have been drilling holes in the support poles in my front deck for a
couple of years now. I've tried to fill the holes with spray foam, but they've
just chewed it out of their way.
Sue in Mi. (zone 5)

Purchgdss 13-05-2003 03:56 AM

Bumble Bees drilling holes into my wood fence!

Point is,
some pests are harmful to our way of life and should be exterminated.

Ohhhhhhhh I could Soooooooo run with this.....
biting tongue and scrunching eyes in effort to behave

Just my 2 cents.........
Christine

DigitalVinyl 13-05-2003 03:32 PM

Bumble Bees drilling holes into my wood fence!

(Beecrofter) wrote:

Some ignorant *******s suggest killing the carpenter bees but then
they are the same folks who brought us DDT, MTBE, Tetraethyl Lead,
Thalidomide, Nerve Gas,etc.
These folks choose the most expediant method with no thought of
consequence.

For the price of a few holes in a wooden fence you get pollinators.

The holes we see are only the entrances. Their burrows can be up to 10
feet! deep through the wood. Successful nests encourage the children
to build new ones nearby. They can cause much more damage than a few
little holes.

They show up every year here and go for the wood beams under the porch
and corner of the house here. This year there are two of them,
normally only one.

Somebody gets more fruit in their garden, some songbird gets an extra
berry, wildlife survives.

As for carpenter bees stinging,yes the female can sting but you have
to force it to do so. Don't carry them in your shirt pocket or put
them in your mouth or trap them in your armpits.

Enjoy the show.

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)

Don 19-07-2003 03:52 AM

Bumble Bees drilling holes into my wood fence!

Laughing. I could get to really like you Christine. Touche, without
the accent.

Oh shit, jump in and run with it. I don't think I could resist. :)
But then again, I just started downloading this news group.

Hugs from
Don in sunny Canada