GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Winter grass (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/216047-winter-grass.html)

[email protected] 10-04-2019 07:00 PM

Winter grass

Forgive me this isn't actuall gardening, but I thought some experts here could help me. To make a long story short, I want some winter grass to spread.. It's tall now 12" to 15" and has gone to seed but it's all green yet. It's in the lawn so eventually I'd like to mow it and spread the seeds for next winter. The big question is how long must the seed mature before I can cut it? Must I wait till it get's too hot and it dies? Or just when the seeds turn brown? Let me know if pictures are allowed here.
Thanks,
Tony

songbird[_2_] 11-04-2019 02:31 AM

Winter grass

wrote:
Forgive me this isn't actuall gardening, but I thought some experts here could help me. To make a long story short, I want some winter grass to spread. It's tall now 12" to 15" and has gone to seed but it's all green yet. It's in the lawn so eventually I'd like to mow it and spread the seeds for next winter. The big question is how long must the seed mature before I can cut it? Must I wait till it get's too hot and it dies? Or just when the seeds turn brown? Let me know if pictures are allowed here.

yes, let it start drying out before cutting it,
but don't let it get too dry as then the seeds
will fall off when you cut it. you can, of course
thresh it over a container to catch it. let it
dry completely (spread it thin on a newspaper in
a spot where it won't be in the way for several weeks
) before storing it.

depending upon your climate it may be best to
wait until the cooler fall weather to use it.

songbird