Old 12-01-2020, 09:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Confused Plants

So here I am in eastern Tennessee. In theory at least it is the dead of
winter. The problem is that the daffodils are now 4" high, the hyacinths
threaten to break through the mulch, and the crocus is doing the same. The
forsythia is blooming, as are some of the creeping phlox and periwinkle.

There is no climate change -- the Great Orange God has told us that it is
just a Chinese hoax. Will somebody please tell the plants?
Old 12-01-2020, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 12 Jan 2020 15:05:25 -0500, John McGaw
wrote:

So here I am in eastern Tennessee. In theory at least it is the dead of
winter. The problem is that the daffodils are now 4" high, the hyacinths
threaten to break through the mulch, and the crocus is doing the same. The
forsythia is blooming, as are some of the creeping phlox and periwinkle.
There is no climate change -- the Great Orange God has told us that it is
just a Chinese hoax. Will somebody please tell the plants?

Here in southern Ontario, about 6 years ago, we had a warm snap
late Feb. early March ? and the fruit trees came into bud -
maybe even open bud - then a hard freeze.
No apples that year for me :-(.
John T.

Old 13-01-2020, 04:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 1/12/2020 3:05 PM, John McGaw wrote:
So here I am in eastern Tennessee. In theory at least it is the dead of
winter. The problem is that the daffodils are now 4" high, the hyacinths
threaten to break through the mulch, and the crocus is doing the same. The
forsythia is blooming, as are some of the creeping phlox and periwinkle.

There is no climate change -- the Great Orange God has told us that it is
just a Chinese hoax. Will somebody please tell the plants?

Oh yeah. Just noticed that the frilly red Dianthus that always self-seed by
the phlox is blooming now too. I wonder how long it will be before the
Azaleas are in bloom...
Old 16-01-2020, 12:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
John McGaw writes:
So here I am in eastern Tennessee. In theory at least it is the dead of
winter. The problem is that the daffodils are now 4" high, the hyacinths

I noticed this weekend, here in Dayton-ish, Ohio, that the daffodils
were poking up at the Bob Evan's. Not 4", but they don't usually
show up for another month. These are up close to the building and
paving, which I assume keeps the ground warmer than normal.

So far, this is a freakishly mild winter here. And that is after
4-5 winters that have been mild except for when the polar vortex
fractures. February is our normal deep-freeze. I'm curious if
that will hold this year.

threaten to break through the mulch, and the crocus is doing the same. The
forsythia is blooming, as are some of the creeping phlox and periwinkle.

There is no climate change -- the Great Orange God has told us that it is
just a Chinese hoax. Will somebody please tell the plants?

Officialy we are USDA zone 6, but it's been feeling a lot like zone 7
the last few years. Not a tragedy for me, but I don't want zone 8.

--
Drew Lawson | Broke my mind

Old 28-01-2020, 08:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 1/12/2020 3:05 PM, John McGaw wrote:
So here I am in eastern Tennessee. In theory at least it is the dead of
winter. The problem is that the daffodils are now 4" high, the hyacinths
threaten to break through the mulch, and the crocus is doing the same. The
forsythia is blooming, as are some of the creeping phlox and periwinkle.

There is no climate change -- the Great Orange God has told us that it is
just a Chinese hoax. Will somebody please tell the plants?

Worse than I first thought: I went out for the trash can and noticed that
some yellow crocus and blue anemone blanda are now in bloom among the
creeping phlox. The English bluebells seem to be breaking ground and some
of the daylilies are greening up and starting to grow. Daffodils are higher
and some have well developed buds so there is no telling when they'll try
to start blooming. January 28th right now so I'd put everything as about 1
to 1-1/2 months too early.