Old 20-04-2020, 02:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Help with habanero pepper plant

I bought this habanero plant from Home Depot about 6 weeks ago.

I understand that it takes about 90 days until it produces peppers.

I could use some tips.

Like should I be pruning it?

It is located on a patio, so I bring it in at night and place it under a led grow light.

Something occasionally eats part of the leaves. But it isn't much.

Thanks.

https://imgur.com/a/aXT4I8V
Old 20-04-2020, 06:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/19/2020 6:45 PM, Andy K wrote:
I bought this habanero plant from Home Depot about 6 weeks ago.

I understand that it takes about 90 days until it produces peppers.

I could use some tips.

Like should I be pruning it?

It is located on a patio, so I bring it in at night and place it under a led grow light.

Something occasionally eats part of the leaves. But it isn't much.

Thanks.

https://imgur.com/a/aXT4I8V

Only bring it indoors if frost is expected. Such plants require cycles
of day and night, light and dark. Peppers are annuals (or should be
treated as annuals), and thus they should not be pruned.

If the plant is still in its original container from Home Depot, it
should be repotted in a larger container or in the ground. A 12-inch
flower pot is not too large. The potting mix (in a pot) or soil (in the
ground) should have a small handful of bone meal added. This is a mild
source of phosphorus, which promotes flowers and fruit (peppers). Since
phosphorus does not readily dissolve, the bone meal needs to be placed
where roots will find the it, either stirred into the potting mix or
into the bottom of the planting hole in the ground.

While my mother used a heavy hand with seasonings and I thus grew up
liking spicy foods, haaneros, Scotch bonnets, and similar fiery peppers
are just too hot for me. Jalapeños are more to my taste.

--
David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

Would the United States be more prepared to deal with COVID-19
if President Trump had not cut the budgets of the National
Institutes of Health (NIH) and the Centers for Disease Control
and Prevention (CDC)? His administration also eliminated the
Directorate for Global Health and Security and Bio-Defense,
the agency within the National Security Council tasked to
provide early warnings about epidemics and pandemics.

Old 20-04-2020, 03:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Monday, April 20, 2020 at 12:43:49 AM UTC-5, David E. Ross wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the advice.

Andy
Old 11-05-2020, 07:22 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.food.cooking

David E. Ross wrote:
While my mother used a heavy hand with seasonings and I thus grew up
liking spicy foods, haaneros, Scotch bonnets, and similar fiery peppers
are just too hot for me. Jalapeños are more to my taste.

Those Scotch bonnets make my asshole burn.