GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hand-powered chipper/shredder? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/217026-re-hand-powered-chipper-shredder.html)

[email protected] 15-06-2020 11:29 PM

Hand-powered chipper/shredder?

On Thursday, November 12, 1992 at 5:27:17 PM UTC-5, Roberta Norin wrote:
(Peter Smith) writes:

In
(Greg C. Steiner) writes:

Is there such a device as a hand-powered chipper/shredder? I
don't have $200 to spend on a 3hp electrical one. I also prefer
to use elbow-grease to get my yard work done.
I'm not looking to chop logs...just leaves, grass and a few
branches that get trimmed each year.

Yes!

I've always thought it would be neat if you could have a garbage
disposal on your kitchen sink that would save the ground up stuff in a
container so you could throw it on the compost.

Would that be called a "blender"? lol

David Hill 16-06-2020 12:01 AM

On 15/06/2020 23:29, wrote:
On Thursday, November 12, 1992 at 5:27:17 PM UTC-5, Roberta Norin wrote:
(Peter Smith) writes:

In
(Greg C. Steiner) writes:

Is there such a device as a hand-powered chipper/shredder? I
don't have $200 to spend on a 3hp electrical one. I also prefer
to use elbow-grease to get my yard work done.
I'm not looking to chop logs...just leaves, grass and a few
branches that get trimmed each year.

Yes!

I've always thought it would be neat if you could have a garbage
disposal on your kitchen sink that would save the ground up stuff in a
container so you could throw it on the compost.

Would that be called a "blender"? lol

If you have a rotary mower you canrun that over the cut up smaller bits
and it chops and collects.

songbird[_2_] 16-06-2020 01:15 PM

David Hill wrote:
If you have a rotary mower you canrun that over the cut up smaller bits
and it chops and collects.

in almost 30 years it is likely that whatever it was is
rotted by now no matter what was done to it. :)

however, in the aims of keeping things simple and having
me do as little as possible i bury garden scraps at the
end of the season and let the soil community figure out
what to do with it.

indoors i keep a set of buckets with worms in them to
take care of all kitchen scraps and all paper scraps.
the most problem i have is any plastic coated items and
i hope to put those in the recycling or in the trash.
sometimes package designers put layers of plastic between
layers of cardstock so i no longer shred cardstock of
any kind, it all gets sent to the recycling people
instead.

songbird