GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Best gloves for thorny plants? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/217037-best-gloves-thorny-plants.html)

Laura Fenik 19-06-2020 07:53 PM

Best gloves for thorny plants?

Any recommendations for a good, quality pair of gloves for pulling
thistle, pruning thorny plants and such? Prefer elbow-length and full
protection against the sharp buggers. I'm in northeastern U.S.

[email protected] 19-06-2020 08:16 PM

Best gloves for thorny plants?

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...92-rose-gloves

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...pruning-gloves

David E. Ross[_2_] 19-06-2020 08:57 PM

On 6/19/2020 11:53 AM, Laura Fenik wrote:
Any recommendations for a good, quality pair of gloves for pulling
thistle, pruning thorny plants and such? Prefer elbow-length and full
protection against the sharp buggers. I'm in northeastern U.S.

If it is Scotch thistle, the spines will penetrate even leather gloves.
I know thiis from personal experience.

Now, I use an herbicide on thistle. When it is dead, I use a pruning
saw or hoe to cut it down and then a rake or potato hook to handle it.
I never touch it.

--
David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

Who would you trust to provide accurate information about
COVID-19? Doctors who have studied viruses and treated
patients for years? Or a TV actor who tweets "cofefe"?

Jeff Layman[_2_] 19-06-2020 09:44 PM

On 19/06/20 19:53, Laura Fenik wrote:
Any recommendations for a good, quality pair of gloves for pulling
thistle, pruning thorny plants and such? Prefer elbow-length and full
protection against the sharp buggers. I'm in northeastern U.S.

Try welding gloves or gauntlets. They are often more effective against
thorns and spines than gardening gloves.

--

Jeff

Alfred Falk[_2_] 20-06-2020 05:40 PM

Best gloves for thorny plants?

Laura Fenik wrote in news:rcj1iv$sgl$1@dont-
email.me:

Any recommendations for a good, quality pair of gloves for pulling
thistle, pruning thorny plants and such? Prefer elbow-length and full
protection against the sharp buggers. I'm in northeastern U.S.

A cheap solution:
Every try to push a sewing needle through adhesive tape?
I use ordinary leather work gloves and wrap them with a layer or two of duct
tape. This works well for handling rose and raspberry canes.

David Hill 20-06-2020 05:54 PM

On 20/06/2020 17:40, Alfred Falk wrote:
Laura Fenik wrote in news:rcj1iv$sgl$1@dont-
email.me:

Any recommendations for a good, quality pair of gloves for pulling
thistle, pruning thorny plants and such? Prefer elbow-length and full
protection against the sharp buggers. I'm in northeastern U.S.

A cheap solution:
Every try to push a sewing needle through adhesive tape?
I use ordinary leather work gloves and wrap them with a layer or two of duct
tape. This works well for handling rose and raspberry canes.

I would rather work without glover, makes you very much more carefull

Laura Fenik 23-06-2020 07:54 PM

Best gloves for thorny plants?

Thank you for the links. I will check them out :.

Laura Fenik 23-06-2020 07:57 PM

Best gloves for thorny plants?

On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 12:57:25 -0700, David E. Ross wrote:

David, thank you for your good advice and information. I've also checked
out your website. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Laura Fenik 23-06-2020 07:57 PM

Best gloves for thorny plants?

Thank you Jeff. I'll look into this.

Laura Fenik 23-06-2020 07:58 PM

Best gloves for thorny plants?

On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 16:40:07 +0000, Alfred Falk wrote:

Alfred, I've never heard of this. Good idea. Thank you.