Old 22-06-2020, 04:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Canary Island Palm root ball

I have a 30 ft Canary Island Palm, 25 inch diameter main trunk at 2 ft from the ground. Main trunk is about 2 ft from a wall.

it has not been maintained for years. Smaller trunks have come up all around the base, and one on the back is now touching the wall.

I plan to cut the back trunk off to the ground and not the entire tree.

My question is, will it damage the tree if i continue to cut downward into the root ball?

If you email me i cab send you photos. Thx.

(Is there another group that is more on trees, palms, etc?)

Old 22-06-2020, 05:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/22/2020 7:45 AM, wrote:
I have a 30 ft Canary Island Palm, 25 inch diameter main trunk at 2 ft from the ground. Main trunk is about 2 ft from a wall.

it has not been maintained for years. Smaller trunks have come up all around the base, and one on the back is now touching the wall.

I plan to cut the back trunk off to the ground and not the entire tree.

My question is, will it damage the tree if i continue to cut downward into the root ball?

If you email me i cab send you photos. Thx.

(Is there another group that is more on trees, palms, etc?)

Are you sure the smaller growths are branches from the older palm?
Could they instead be seedlings and thus separate plants?

In any case, consider the following two items:

* If you cut off the top of the side growth of a palm, it will die.
You will have to cut across the trunk and not merely cut away the
fronds. If you leave a stump, eventually it will rot at the base and be
easily broken away.

* Palms are well known for adventitious roots. That is, they will grow
more roots if existing roots are cut. There is no taproot. As long as
you do not cut away more than half of the root ball, the older palm is
safe PROVIDING you do not destabilized it. You might have to provide
some support for the older palm for one or two years while new roots
grow. I have a fan palm (Washingtonia filifera) in a 15-inch flower pot
in front of my house. This year I will AGAIN remove it from the pot,
trim about 2 inches from the sides of the root ball and about 3 inches
from the bottom, and then repot it with some fresh potting mix to
replace what I trimmed. I do this every 4-5 years without killing the
palm.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 23-06-2020, 06:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks david! I will check tomorrow. If the small ones are separate, can i dig deep between one and the main trunk and repot it without risk of damaging the main tree?
Old 24-06-2020, 05:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

Thx.its worth a try.

Today i saw there are two tall trunks, between 2-6 ft all around the main ones starting right up against the mains ones.

So much trimming to be done. Cant see any trunks.

So glad you posted. Besides saving this nicely shaped tree, i can do the trimming and save $1000-2000 quoted to cut all down.

One said it would cost hundreds for the calif state disposal fee. Said its considered hazardous waste. ??? And we wonder why calif is corrupt.

Old 02-07-2020, 03:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

Yep, the guy was thinking i just got off a bus with a chicken...

I did more reasearch and talking around. I have to be really sure if i leave this palm in.

I may be repeating.... The trunk is about 20 in diameter at 2 feet off the ground which is the top of the root ball. The block wall is 16 inces from the side of the trunk. Root ball speads out and touches the wall but roots just turn away and dont push the wall.

I need to demo the wall and replace it on the same foundation. Its on property line and i cant move wall away farther from tree.

What im wondering is if i can cut the root ball straight down that side if the trunk and stop at the ground, would the rest of the roots be enough to keep the palm from tipping?

Cost to remove tree is $1500-2500 from quotes on site. Cutting rootball i can do myself.

Local nurseries dont seem knowledgable. Arborist society wont refer anyone. Glad to pay someone with correct info to come and advise.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

To see photos, email . Or if i can find a place to upload them and then remove them i will post the link.

Thanks buddies.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 18:13:03 -0700 (PDT)
wrote:

To see photos, email
. Or if i can find a place to upload them and then remove them i will post the link.

Thanks buddies.

I use this photo site now and then:

https://postimages.org/

Supposedly you can set an expiration date. But I have my doubts that
anything you put on the web nowadays ever disappears...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Old 08-07-2020, 02:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Per arborist, tree is a common desert palm, not canary island. Too risky to cut root ball and destabilize. Not practical to move. Must cut down.

Well worth hiring certified arborist. Evaluated, recommendations for 2 dozen large trees. Guesswork is over.

Old 08-07-2020, 02:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Will email photos before, after to anyone. Cant post online because of neighbor in bikini in background. Hubba hubba!