Old 11-05-2003, 04:56 AM
psurfer

Default Any worthwhile cordless hedge trimmers?

I'd like to get a battery-powered hedge trimmer with at least Some
cutting power. Any reco's, or links to the most likely forums for
this?

From what I've read, I'm guessing that the 14.4v Black & Decker sold
at Home Depot will probably be a bit underpowered for me, although
probably fine for new green growth cuts. A few users have mentioned
1/8" branches as it's practical limit.

Amazon sells the American Gardener mdl #900052 which is 24v, so that
should be the most powerful cutter of the lot? I assume that it would
handle somewhat thicker branches, as opposed to just giving longer run
time... I can find no review of it anywhere on the web. I also read
one mention from back in 2002, of a Homelite 18v unit (? that came
with 2 batteries And a string trimmer, all for $99 at Home Depot) that
seems to be no longer available anywhere, and not a word about it on
the web, either.

Should I take the unit's voltage to be a good relative indicator of
it's branch trim diameter ability?
Old 11-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Beecrofter

You are probably expecting too much from a trimmer.
Cutting anything but green soft growth might be a bit of a stretch for
a cordless.
In practice the woody growth should be cut below the final height with
loppers or a heavy pruning shear and the trimmers used for soft
growth.
I sharpen quite a few gas and electric trimmers and have yet to see a
cordless model come through the shop.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:44 PM
animaux

I don't know about hedge trimmers, but last week Home Depot and Black and Decker
had a promotional sale on cordless, rechargeable mowers. They usually sell for
about $460, but if you brought your old gas mower it was $310. For some reason
they only charged us $279, even better!

My husband fully charged it and did our lawn one and a half times before it
needed to be recharged. We probably have about 2,000 square feet of turf.
Maybe even less than that.

Look into the Black and Decker. We love the mower.

On 10 May 2003 20:56:02 -0700, (psurfer) wrote:

I'd like to get a battery-powered hedge trimmer with at least Some
cutting power. Any reco's, or links to the most likely forums for
this?

From what I've read, I'm guessing that the 14.4v Black & Decker sold

Old 12-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Frank Logullo

"psurfer" wrote in message
om...
I'd like to get a battery-powered hedge trimmer with at least Some
cutting power. Any reco's, or links to the most likely forums for
this?

I also read
one mention from back in 2002, of a Homelite 18v unit (? that came
with 2 batteries And a string trimmer, all for $99 at Home Depot) that
seems to be no longer available anywhere, and not a word about it on
the web, either.

I've got this unit and it is adequate for minor trimming and getting to the
extremes of my lot. For big time trimming I need to get out my Hedge Hog
with a cord. I would not rely on anything with batteries for heavy duty
work.
Frank

Old 12-05-2003, 12:56 PM
TOM KAN PA