Old 25-01-2003, 03:21 PM
Beecrofter

Default Best Grass for an Active Dog?

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message ...
I have a yard, not a pasture! ;-)

Seriously, I think I'm doomed, but hate the idea of a muddy back yard for
the next decade.

No you have a kennel

You should see the excavations my 3 german sheps can do.
Old 25-01-2003, 11:59 PM
Ann

"LeeAnne" expounded:

Hey that stuff's neat!! How do you install it - shred up an area, put them
down and then plant seed?

They are cook, aren't they? I've often thought if I ever build a
house I'd make the driveway out of them. This Odl House used them on
a driveway years ago.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 26-01-2003, 12:28 AM
Kyle Boatright

"Tom Jaszewski" wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 22:53:50 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from Tom Jaszewski contains these words:

We have large turf areas roamed by tigers. Adequate organics turned
into the soil along with compost tea treatments and we are actually
getting the grass to grow and replace less.

But captive tigers just pad about, they don't skid around at high
speed, tearing up turf, like dogs do :-) Do tigers dig a hole to poo,
like cats?

Janet

Ever had a cat? now try a 600 pounder, far more energy than any
dog....

Regards,

tomj

"Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all

evolution.
Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages."

- Thomas Edison

You've never been around a Border Collie, have you?

;-)

Kyle

Old 26-01-2003, 12:30 AM
Kyle Boatright

"Beecrofter" wrote in message
m...
"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message

I have a yard, not a pasture! ;-)

Seriously, I think I'm doomed, but hate the idea of a muddy back yard

for
the next decade.

No you have a kennel

You should see the excavations my 3 german sheps can do.

Fortunately, he doesn't dig, and since he's only outside when I play with
him, he doesn't spend 12 hours a day pounding the grass into dust.
Unfortunately, 20 minutes a day of frisbee and tennis ball tossing does a
pretty good job of pounding the grass into dust anyway.

KB

Old 26-01-2003, 01:35 AM
Ann

Ann expounded:

cook

cool (damned fingernails!)

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Old 26-01-2003, 02:40 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 00:28:55 GMT, "Kyle Boatright"
wrote:

You've never been around a Border Collie, have you?

;-)

Kyle

Nope, the tigers eat them....

*VBG*

Old 26-01-2003, 02:50 PM
germ

You find pavers like that all over Germany being used in commercial
parking lots. Much nicer and cooler in the summer than acres of
blacktop. It would be wonderful if it caught on over here.
(Cynically) Codes would probably prevent such a wonderful idea!

Old 26-01-2003, 06:04 PM
Wendy B G

Hey that stuff's neat!! How do you install it - shred up an area, put them
down and then plant seed?

I would expect E.P. Henry to provide instructions.

I happen to love the rounded-edge, mottled look of pavers. Rod has installed 2
backyard patios, a path, and a driveway out of pavers. I think they are
beautiful :-).

The key to keeping an area of pavers level is to provide a stable, level
underlayment. Because of this, you wouldn't want to shred the ground below. You
would want to keep it solid, to provide a firm footing. Then you put builder's
sand and firm that in. This will prevent possible uneven settling of the earth,
which would displace the pavers.

The pavers are 2" thick. Rod dug down about 5" (we hired a front-end loader for
the driveway), then put in 3" of builder's sand. The pavers lie on the sand.

For open-grid pavers, stable underlayment would be important. They are larger
than the "cobble type" pavers, so uneven settling would displace the edge even
more.

If I was doing the job, I would put in 3" of sand. Then I would lay the pavers
on top of the sand. Then I would fill the open grid area with 2" of good
topsoil, add grass seed, and water. I would expect the topsoil to subside about
0.5". This would keep the root area of the grass below the top surface of the
pavers. Then, when the dogs run over the pavers, they won't scrape the grass.

Wendy
Wilmington, DE (Zone 7)