Old 12-05-2003, 03:56 AM
Kevin Miller

Default Suggestions for pond edge

Thanks alot for all the help everyone has given me! I have
one last spring project. I have a northeast edge of a pond that
always collects your typical organic/inorganic stuff which I'd like to
"hide".... The water level rises and lowers and the soil is a mixture
of mud, sand, and moss - it's almost always VERY wet. There is no
rock or wood retaining wall. I'd like to hide this 40 ft. area with
plants grown right next to the water.. Any suggestions?

Again, thanks for all your help!!

Kevin Miller
Zone 5
Old 12-05-2003, 05:20 AM
J Kolenovsky

Check with your local chapter of the Native Plant Society and see what
marginal bog plants grow well in your area and get the names of local
retailers from them and go purchase them. A little of several of them
can multiply and go a long way. Also, after you id some of the local
marginal plants, find some ditches that have plant material growth and
wear rubber boots, take a sharp-shooter, gloves and a bucket and you can
collect some specimens for your pond. The large cattail (Typha) is not
recommended nor any of the federal aquatic noxious plants like giant
salvinia or water hyacinth.

J. Kolenovsky
http://www.celestialhabitats.com

Kevin Miller wrote:
=

Thanks alot for all the help everyone has given me! I have
one last spring project. I have a northeast edge of a pond that
always collects your typical organic/inorganic stuff which I'd like to
"hide".... The water level rises and lowers and the soil is a mixture
of mud, sand, and moss - it's almost always VERY wet. There is no
rock or wood retaining wall. I'd like to hide this 40 ft. area with
plants grown right next to the water.. Any suggestions?
=

Again, thanks for all your help!!
=

Kevin Miller
Zone 5

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - commercial
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal webpag=
es
Old 12-05-2003, 06:20 AM
Travis

J Kolenovsky wrote:
Check with your local chapter of the Native Plant Society and see what
marginal bog plants grow well in your area and get the names of local
retailers from them and go purchase them. A little of several of them
can multiply and go a long way. Also, after you id some of the local
marginal plants, find some ditches that have plant material growth and
wear rubber boots, take a sharp-shooter, gloves and a bucket and you
can collect some specimens for your pond. The large cattail (Typha)
is not recommended nor any of the federal aquatic noxious plants like
giant salvinia or water hyacinth.

Wild collecting (stealing) is not recommended either.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5
Old 17-05-2003, 09:56 PM

water celery. plant one and by next year it will cover 5 feet. it is fantastic,
winter hardy, springs to life in spring, gets 2 feet tall and trails into the water
covering the edge. Ingrid

Kevin Miller wrote:

Thanks alot for all the help everyone has given me! I have
one last spring project. I have a northeast edge of a pond that
always collects your typical organic/inorganic stuff which I'd like to
"hide".... The water level rises and lowers and the soil is a mixture
of mud, sand, and moss - it's almost always VERY wet. There is no
rock or wood retaining wall. I'd like to hide this 40 ft. area with
plants grown right next to the water.. Any suggestions?

Again, thanks for all your help!!

Kevin Miller
Zone 5

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 18-05-2003, 05:44 PM

oh yeah. I am zone 5 and the stuff just keeps coming back. it does die back every
winter just like grass. it seems to get started faster than grass in spring. Ingrid

Kevin Miller wrote:
This sounds lilke a great idea.... most of the sites say hardy to zone
6... do you think it'd be ok zone 5?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

[IMG] code is On

Extending edge of butyl pond liner to stop leaking JohnB United Kingdom 2 15-11-2006 05:37 AM
Fixing the pond edge Paul DeWolf Ponds 2 25-05-2003 07:08 PM
Extending edge of butyl pond liner to stop leaking JohnB United Kingdom 3 14-04-2003 01:20 AM
Plants for a pond edge Neil Law Ponds 5 20-03-2003 04:56 PM
ground cover for pond edge Carol Russell United Kingdom 3 30-09-2002 11:24 AM