Old 02-03-2003, 02:27 AM
Tracey

Default Repotting question

I have two plants that need repotting. While they're different
plants, I think that they're both similar enough in their
growing habits that the correct answers for one will apply
to the other. One is rabbit's foot fern or Davallia fejeensis.
The other is unknown, but it has the same look of the Davallia
with the rhizomes (not hairy) spreading over the surface of
the potting soil and wrapping over the growing down the side
of the pot. It also has foliage that pokes it's way out of
the rhizome.

Question is: When repotting, what do you do with the rhizomes
(is that the right term for them????) that have bent over the
edge of the pot? Do you wet them and try to straighten them
out so you aren't sticking them down into the new potting soil?
Do you cut them off at the rim of the pot? If you do cut them
off, can you take the small pieces and lay them on the surface
so that they will root?

Tracey, clueless in Hawaii

Old 02-03-2003, 03:03 AM
SugarChile

I recently tackled a *seriously* overgrown rabbit's foot fern. It was a bit
daunting to start, but once it got in there it wasn't so bad. I had to pull
off some of the rhizomes, the older looking ones, just to be able to get at
the pot. I left the others and lifted them up out of the way--I made a sort
of collar out of several thickness of newspapers and tape to hold them as I
trimmed the rootball and repotted, then re-draped them over the top and
sides. I broke a few in the process, but it couldn't be helped. I don't
know how to start new plants from the rhizomes; I thought about it but don't
have room in the house for any more plants.

The plant responded wonderfully to the whole process. It collected its
thoughts for 3-4 weeks, then started putting out new growth.

HTH
Sue

Old 02-03-2003, 03:27 AM
Tracey

The plant responded wonderfully to the whole process.
It collected its thoughts for 3-4 weeks, then started
putting out new growth.

That does help. I *do* have room for more plants, so
making more wouldn't be a problem, but at least I know
basically how to do it so that it will survive.

One problem for me, though, is that this fern is currently
inside a wicker basket, hanging on the wall and the
rhizomes have woven themselves around and through the holes
in the basket. Eeeks! That will take some time to untangle.

Tracey

[IMG] code is On

Repotting Question? sandra Orchids 1 31-05-2005 08:14 PM
Repotting Question? sandra Orchids 0 31-05-2005 07:57 PM
[IBC] Repotting- Newbie question Luis Fontanills Bonsai 6 01-04-2003 07:20 AM
Repotting- Newbie question Buridan Bonsai 0 30-03-2003 02:32 AM
repotting / herb question? Shiltsy Gardening 4 18-02-2003 09:27 PM