GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Slow Germinating Tomatoes? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/2199-slow-germinating-tomatoes.html)

Fleemo 02-03-2003 03:03 AM

Slow Germinating Tomatoes?

Three weeks ago I planted several different varieties of tomatoes in
cell packs. Most of the tomatoes sprouted long ago, yet none of my
Cherokee Purples have emerged from the soil, and only a single Sun
Gold has sprouted. Are these simply very slow tomatoes to germinate,
or might I have gotten some bad seed?

-Fleemo

jammer 02-03-2003 03:51 AM

Slow Germinating Tomatoes?

On 1 Mar 2003 19:01:39 -0800, (Fleemo) wrote:

Three weeks ago I planted several different varieties of tomatoes in
cell packs. Most of the tomatoes sprouted long ago, yet none of my
Cherokee Purples have emerged from the soil, and only a single Sun
Gold has sprouted. Are these simply very slow tomatoes to germinate,
or might I have gotten some bad seed?

-Fleemo

I found this. Did you plant them too deep? I only have 3 out of 30
seds i planted up so far but there hasnt been any sun. I suspect i
will end up with the 10 i am going for. Good luck. Maybe plant some
more to be safe?

This old heirloom variety from Tennessee is extremely productive and
has a very rich tomato flavor. Vines produce a large number of medium
sized, 10 oz - 12 oz fruit. The flesh is a unique brick red color with
a rose/purple skin color.

One packet produces 10 plants after thinning.

Days to Maturity: 80
When to Sow Outside: After last frost and when soil temperature is up
to 60 degrees
When to Sow Inside: 6 to 8 weeks before last frost
Seed Depth: 1/8"
Seed Spacing: When starting outdoors, space seeds 6" apart
Row Spacing: 3'
Days to Emerge: 5 - 10
Thinning: When 2" tall, thin to 18" apart.

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Fleemo 02-03-2003 11:51 AM

Slow Germinating Tomatoes?

Did you plant them too deep?

I don't believe so. I planted all the different varieties at about
the same depth, roughly about 1/8" deep. All the other varieties
germinated rather quickly. Just not a single Cherokee Purple, and
only one out of nine Sun Golds. Makes me think that there's something
funky with the seed I received.

I wonder if these seeds need some kind of scarification or other
pre-planting process in order to germinate?

Thanks for the growing info. My seeds didn't come with much in the
way of planting information. I'll try sowing another round of seeds,
see if I have any better luck.

-Fleemo

samuel l crowe 02-03-2003 12:03 PM

Slow Germinating Tomatoes?

soak the seeds in a weak green tea solution over night before planting, that
helps on seeds that are not very viable.

--
Sam
Along the Grand Strand of Myrtle Beach SC

om...

[email protected] 02-03-2003 04:15 PM

Slow Germinating Tomatoes?

bad seed. is very common for retail consumers. consumers always think it is them,
commercial growers sue. Ingrid

(Fleemo) wrote:

Three weeks ago I planted several different varieties of tomatoes in
cell packs. Most of the tomatoes sprouted long ago, yet none of my
Cherokee Purples have emerged from the soil, and only a single Sun
Gold has sprouted. Are these simply very slow tomatoes to germinate,
or might I have gotten some bad seed?

-Fleemo

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A. 03-03-2003 07:15 AM

Slow Germinating Tomatoes?

Fleemo wrote:

Did you plant them too deep?

I don't believe so. I planted all the different varieties at about
the same depth, roughly about 1/8" deep. All the other varieties
germinated rather quickly. Just not a single Cherokee Purple, and
only one out of nine Sun Golds. Makes me think that there's something
funky with the seed I received.

I wonder if these seeds need some kind of scarification or other
pre-planting process in order to germinate?

Your seeds might need more light. Try the carrot seed trick. Germinate
between layers of damp paper toweling, then sow.