GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Gardenia (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/2204-gardenia.html)

Susan 02-03-2003 04:15 AM

Gardenia

My gardenia has what I think is called sooty mold on it and I have
sprayed it with a solution of 6oz.dishwashing soap to 1 gallon of
water and let it set for 4 min. then sprayed with a high pressure hose
to rinse, it helped some but it still has alot of mold on it, any
suggestions?

DGiunti 02-03-2003 05:15 AM

Gardenia

In article ,
(Susan) writes:

My gardenia has what I think is called sooty mold on it and I have
sprayed it with a solution of 6oz.dishwashing soap to 1 gallon of
water and let it set for 4 min. then sprayed with a high pressure hose
to rinse, it helped some but it still has alot of mold on it, any
suggestions?

I would get a second opinion, but some orchid growers use rubbing alcohol
that has covered a lot of Cinnamon for a while. They spray it on the moldy
areas, and it dries leaving the cinnamon compounds. It's a good antifungal
there, but I have not herd much about it's use in this newsgroup.

David Giunti email:
unity
What is the question? Gertrude Stein's last words
No one mouth is big enough to utter the whole thing. Alan Watts

On Display in the UK
http://www.web-gallery.co.uk

Marley1372 02-03-2003 05:39 AM

Gardenia

If you think you have sooty mold, then you most likely have and insect problem.
Aphids and other sucking insects can produce alot of honeydew(poop!) that
collects on the leaves. In time, sooty mold will colonize on the poo. Taking
care of the insects takes care of the mold. Another thing I should mention is
that the honeydew may be dripping down from a larger plant, so inspect all the
plants in the general area.

Toad