Old 12-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Adam Schwartz

Default Salvia turning black

I have a black and blue salvia planted in full sun. Recently, the
leaves, wich are supposed to be light green, started developing large black
areas. It's been storming here (Iowa City) for 2 week, so could this be
from too much water or wind damage? Could it be from underwatering (not
really likely) or disease? Will the black leaves regain their green color
or should i just trim them off? My basil and coleus had similar problems.

Thanks,
Adam

Old 12-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Adam Schwartz

Oh, one more thing. How do I know if I'm overwatering or underwatering a
plant? What will typically happen in each case? What about too much or too
little sun? Does anyone know where to find photos of each case?

-Adam

Old 13-05-2003, 12:44 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Mon, 12 May 2003 17:40:09 GMT, "Adam Schwartz"
wrote:

How do I know if I'm overwatering or underwatering a
plant?

Get your fingers dirty and feel the soil, or get a soil probe.

"Nature, left alone, is in perfect balance.
Harmful insects and plant diseases are always present,
but do not occur in nature to an extent which requires the use of poisonous chemicals.
The sensible approach to disease and insect control is to grow sturdy crops in a healthy environment."

Masanobu Fukuoka, One Straw Revolution--1978
Old 13-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Adam Schwartz

wrote:

How do I know if I'm overwatering or underwatering a
plant?

Get your fingers dirty and feel the soil, or get a soil probe.

"Nature, left alone, is in perfect balance.
Harmful insects and plant diseases are always present,
but do not occur in nature to an extent which requires the use of

poisonous chemicals.
The sensible approach to disease and insect control is to grow sturdy

crops in a healthy environment."

Masanobu Fukuoka, One Straw Revolution--1978

I can tell if the soil is wet. What I meant was, how do I know how much
water is ideal for the plant? If the plant starts to look bd, how do I know
whether I'm overwatering it or underwatering it?