Old 12-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Adam Schwartz

Default What's the opposite of staking?

When you want plants to grow vertically you stake them, right? So what
do you do with a trailing plant that keeps curving upwards? I have a
trailing Million Bells, but all of the branches curve upwards towards the
sun. I don't want to cut them all off or I'll have a stump for the first
half of the summer. Is there something else I can do to train them
downwards?

Thanks,
Adam

Old 12-05-2003, 08:56 PM
jammer

On Mon, 12 May 2003 17:30:36 GMT, "Adam Schwartz"
wrote:

When you want plants to grow vertically you stake them, right? So what
do you do with a trailing plant that keeps curving upwards? I have a
trailing Million Bells, but all of the branches curve upwards towards the
sun. I don't want to cut them all off or I'll have a stump for the first
half of the summer. Is there something else I can do to train them
downwards?

Thanks,
Adam

I have some cantalope vines trying to have a close relationship with
my tomatoes. With hangers, pliers, and wire cutters, i cut off pieces
of the wire, bent it, and staked the vines to the ground where i
wanted them.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Adam Schwartz

wrote:

When you want plants to grow vertically you stake them, right? So

what
do you do with a trailing plant that keeps curving upwards? I have a
trailing Million Bells, but all of the branches curve upwards towards the
sun. I don't want to cut them all off or I'll have a stump for the first
half of the summer. Is there something else I can do to train them
downwards?

Thanks,
Adam

I have some cantalope vines trying to have a close relationship with
my tomatoes. With hangers, pliers, and wire cutters, i cut off pieces
of the wire, bent it, and staked the vines to the ground where i
wanted them.

I think I may go out and buy some low guage green bonsai wire and shape the
plants downward. If I take the wire off eventually, will the plant retain
it's shape or return to it's old habit?

Old 12-05-2003, 11:20 PM
jammer

On Mon, 12 May 2003 20:10:33 GMT, "Adam Schwartz"
wrote:

I think I may go out and buy some low guage green bonsai wire and shape the
plants downward. If I take the wire off eventually, will the plant retain
it's shape or return to it's old habit?

Retain it's old habit.

Old 13-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Cereoid-UR12

What is wrong with you, Adam.

Didn't you read my posting or see the links on espalier?

If you have my postings blocked, you are a supreme idiot, Adam.

Old 13-05-2003, 01:32 AM
Adam Schwartz

If you look, I already replied to your post on espalier. Though I agree
it's an appealing technique, it's not suitable for the situation.

. com...

Old 13-05-2003, 02:44 AM
Tsu Dho Nimh

"Adam Schwartz" wrote:

When you want plants to grow vertically you stake them, right? So what
do you do with a trailing plant that keeps curving upwards? I have a
trailing Million Bells, but all of the branches curve upwards towards the
sun. I don't want to cut them all off or I'll have a stump for the first
half of the summer. Is there something else I can do to train them
downwards?

Weight the branches?

Stake them DOWN to the ground with hairpin-shaped things?

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both
Old 13-05-2003, 05:56 AM
Cereoid-UR12

Sometimes severe measures are necessary to get a response from some of you
people.

No you did not respond to my reply until now.

Espalier is certainly more appropriate and easier to do than Jammer's lame
"Rube Goldberg" contraption idea.

Old 13-05-2003, 06:44 AM
Adam Schwartz

Look again. My reply was on 5/12 at 1:49 Pm. It said:
"It's in a pot so I can't really espalier."

news

Old 13-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Frogleg

wrote:

When you want plants to grow vertically you stake them, right? So what
do you do with a trailing plant that keeps curving upwards? I have a
trailing Million Bells, but all of the branches curve upwards towards the
sun. I don't want to cut them all off or I'll have a stump for the first
half of the summer. Is there something else I can do to train them
downwards?

What a pretty plant! I just looked up a few references, and all say
"full sun." Maybe it *is* reaching for light. Is it in the ground or a
hanging basket? The weight of the branches and blossoms may pull it
down in a basket. One reference said it can be pruned to shape.

Old 14-05-2003, 03:20 AM
Adam Schwartz

wrote:

When you want plants to grow vertically you stake them, right? So

what
do you do with a trailing plant that keeps curving upwards? I have a
trailing Million Bells, but all of the branches curve upwards towards the
sun. I don't want to cut them all off or I'll have a stump for the first
half of the summer. Is there something else I can do to train them
downwards?

What a pretty plant! I just looked up a few references, and all say
"full sun." Maybe it *is* reaching for light. Is it in the ground or a
hanging basket? The weight of the branches and blossoms may pull it
down in a basket. One reference said it can be pruned to shape.

I have the "terra cotta" variety in a large pot with white vinca and a
purple mum, but right now the million bells in overshadowing the shorter
vinca (which are not a trailing variety).