Old 13-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Perrenelle

Default Would you buy these transgenic plants?

Please help out a researcher studying useful applications of transgenic
plants by answering three simple questions below.

The reason behind this questionnaire is to determine whether genetically
modified household and garden plants would be accepted by gardeners. Please
reply either to the newsgroup or to me directly.

Would you purchase the following genetically modified plants? Assume that
the price of the plant was reasonable. Please specify which you would be
interested in, if any.

1. A flowering houseplant (for example a scented geranium) modified to
produce three times more aroma than regular flowers.
I would buy
I would not buy it

2. A transgenic indoor ivy that removed toxic chemicals from household air
100 times better than regular plants.
I would buy
I would not buy it

3. A genetically modified blue rose.
I would buy
I would not buy it

4. A transgenic houseplant that efficiently removed odors such as hydrogen
sulfide from the air.
I would buy
I would not buy it

Thanks for your help!

Perrenelle

Old 13-05-2003, 04:20 AM
Purchgdss

[...]

Pretty simple for me........ Don't mess with Mother Nature. We don't know the
implications of what genetically altering plants could be. See the example of
caterpillars of butterflies, genetically engineered corn cross pollinating with
"natural" corn etc.

Just my 2 cents.........
Christine

Old 13-05-2003, 07:20 AM
Cerumen

"Perrenelle" wrote in message
Please help out a researcher studying useful applications of transgenic
plants by answering three simple questions below.

The reason behind this questionnaire is to determine whether genetically
modified household and garden plants would be accepted by gardeners.

Please
reply either to the newsgroup or to me directly.

Would you purchase the following genetically modified plants?

Absolutely, most emphatically NO
--
Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 13-05-2003, 07:56 AM
smeric

On Tue, 13 May 2003 01:32:35 GMT, "Perrenelle"
wrote:

[...]

Would not buy any of them.

--
Polar

Old 13-05-2003, 08:20 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Kat" writes:
| Absolutely yes, to all. And please add to the list blue angel trumpets and
| winter tomatoes?

Especially ones big enough for my herd of flying pigs to roost in.[*]

God help us all, we are likely to be inflicted with this sort of
thing shortly. I have nothing against such methods, WHEN DONE
CAREFULLY AND SAFELY, but current experience is that the chances
of a major disaster are huge. And I mean major :-(
[*] Proposals 2 and 4 are comparable.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-05-2003, 09:56 AM
bigboard

Perrenelle wrote:
Please help out a researcher studying useful applications of transgenic
plants by answering three simple questions below.

The reason behind this questionnaire is to determine whether genetically
modified household and garden plants would be accepted by gardeners. Please
reply either to the newsgroup or to me directly.

Would you purchase the following genetically modified plants? Assume that
the price of the plant was reasonable. Please specify which you would be
interested in, if any.

None of the above. However, if you could get an Amaryllis to do the
hoovering, I might be interested.

Old 13-05-2003, 12:56 PM
swroot

Perrenelle wrote:

Please help out a researcher studying useful applications of transgenic
plants by answering three simple questions below.

The reason behind this questionnaire is to determine whether genetically
modified household and garden plants would be accepted by gardeners. Please
reply either to the newsgroup or to me directly.

Would you purchase the following genetically modified plants? Assume that
the price of the plant was reasonable.

Sorry, but no, I would not knowingly buy any of them.

regards
sarah

--
"Great is truth, but still greater, from a practical point of view,
is silence about truth." Aldous Huxley
Old 13-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Tsu Dho Nimh

"Perrenelle" wrote:

Please help out a researcher studying useful applications of transgenic
plants by answering three simple questions below.

The reason behind this questionnaire is to determine whether genetically
modified household and garden plants would be accepted by gardeners. Please
reply either to the newsgroup or to me directly.

Would you purchase the following genetically modified plants? Assume that
the price of the plant was reasonable. Please specify which you would be
interested in, if any.

How about a truly RED iris?

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both

Old 13-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Drakanthus

No. But...
I understand the entire world population of Bananas is under threat of
extinction due to a particular disease, and transgenic research is being
done to create a resistant strain. I wonder how many of us would eat
transgenic bananas if they were the only ones available?
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 13-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Tim

On Tue, 13 May 2003 14:00:52 +0100, Drakanthus
wrote:

No. But...
I understand the entire world population of Bananas is under threat of
extinction due to a particular disease, and transgenic research is being
done to create a resistant strain. I wonder how many of us would eat
transgenic bananas if they were the only ones available?

More info he http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99991037
Tim.

Old 13-05-2003, 04:08 PM
paghat

In article , "Kat" wrote:

Absolutely yes, to all. And please add to the list blue angel trumpets and
winter tomatoes?

No, no -- transgenic EVERGREEN tomatos that produce cherry tomatoes in the
window all year round AND have gigantic blue clematis blooms to boot!

-paghat the ratgirl

[...]

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/
Old 13-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Tim

On Tue, 13 May 2003 08:18:48 -0700, paghat
wrote:

In article , "Kat"
wrote:

Absolutely yes, to all. And please add to the list blue angel trumpets
and
winter tomatoes?

No, no -- transgenic EVERGREEN tomatos that produce cherry tomatoes in
the
window all year round AND have gigantic blue clematis blooms to boot!

YES !
Tim.
Old 13-05-2003, 04:20 PM
paghat

wrote:

Please help out a researcher studying useful applications of transgenic
plants by answering three simple questions below.

The reason behind this questionnaire is to determine whether genetically
modified household and garden plants would be accepted by gardeners. Please
reply either to the newsgroup or to me directly.

Would you purchase the following genetically modified plants? Assume that
the price of the plant was reasonable. Please specify which you would be
interested in, if any.

1. A flowering houseplant (for example a scented geranium) modified to
produce three times more aroma than regular flowers.
I would buy
I would not buy it

If it were Herb Robert aka "Stinky Bob," then no, I wouldn't want to smell
that three times regular.
If it were some sort of mock orange, I'd probably pass out before I could
reach the door.

2. A transgenic indoor ivy that removed toxic chemicals from

household air
100 times better than regular plants.
I would buy
I would not buy it

I'd vastly prefer to correct the problem that caused the indoor air to be
full of toxic chemical gasses.

3. A genetically modified blue rose.
I would buy
I would not buy it

I would look at someone else's is all.

4. A transgenic houseplant that efficiently removed odors such as

hydrogen
sulfide from the air.
I would buy
I would not buy it

Rather, I'd tell Satan to get the hell back to hell if he insists on
wearing sulfurous aftershave.

Thanks for your help!

It doesn't seem to me you're on the right path to overcome nature-lovers'
preference for nature. People already love their cloned cultivars so it
isn't going to be impossible to overcome the instinctive prejudice against
transgenic veggies & flowers, but some of the above require people to
first of all ACCEPT the idea of steeping in pollutants, THEN begin to
regard buying a houseplant as the best corrective measure. When it's
entirely the wrong corrective measure.

Now, if you can do a recombinant DNA glow-in-the-dark flower that is part
firefly & part orchid cactus, you'll be onto something.

-paghat the ratgirl

Perrenelle

Would not buy any of them.

--