GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Coconut Liner and/or rubber liner for window box planters (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/22200-coconut-liner-rubber-liner-window-box-planters.html)

Kelly 13-05-2003 04:20 AM

Coconut Liner and/or rubber liner for window box planters

I need to replace the coconut liner in my 5 flower boxes this year and
am dismayed to find that the 44" coconut liners go for at least $20
bucks a piece at my local nurseries. I'm cheap, what can I say. I
have been unsuccessful in finding an on-line source at a reasonable
price, and I am open to other options that perhaps mimic the look of
coconut liner. Or hey, just find me some cheap liners! Does anyone
have any suggestions? I would rather not use plastic.....

coocoo for coconuts in PA,
Kelly

Valkyrie 13-05-2003 04:32 AM

Coconut Liner and/or rubber liner for window box planters

I've lined wire baskets with weed/landscape cloth. I think it's pretty
useless as a weed barrier but it worked well to hold the dirt in baskets.

Val

om...

Kay Lancaster 13-05-2003 11:08 PM

On 12 May 2003 20:21:09 -0700, Kelly wrote:
I need to replace the coconut liner in my 5 flower boxes this year and
am dismayed to find that the 44" coconut liners go for at least $20

A few years back, I did a test of sphagnum vs. coconut liner vs. cotton
twill for lining wire baskets. The twill lasted at least a couple of years,
and since it was salvaged from work pants, the cost was $0.