Old 13-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Default Last year's seeds still viable?

Several packets, including zinnia, marigold, aster, dianthus, cornflower.
Packed for 2002, unfortunately couldn't plant, still worth a gamble this
year if the odds they're still alive are better than 50-50. What percentage
of each should I expect to germinate after 1 year of storage at cool room
temperature?
Old 13-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Tyra Trevellyn

From: "Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A."
Date: Tue, May 13, 2003 1:10 PM
Several packets, including zinnia, marigold, aster, dianthus, cornflower.

Packed for 2002, unfortunately couldn't plant, still worth a gamble this

year if the odds they're still alive are better than 50-50. What percentage

of each should I expect to germinate after 1 year of storage at cool room

temperature?

If the seeds would have been viable last year, there's a better-than-good
chance that they'll be viable this year, after storage in a cool room. There
are various tests you could run but I think you'd do well to just get them
going, unless you're counting on huge quantities over a large area.

(I've had good results with annual seeds from five-year-old packets.)

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z6b/7a

Old 13-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Dwight Sipler

Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A. wrote in message
Several packets, including zinnia, marigold, aster, dianthus, cornflower.
Packed for 2002, unfortunately couldn't plant, still worth a gamble this
year if the odds they're still alive are better than 50-50. What

percentage
of each should I expect to germinate after 1 year of storage at cool room
temperature?

I'm using 2001 zinnia seed and 1999 marigold seed. I note a slight loss
of vigor in the zinnia (down to about 80%), but I've used marigold seed
as old as 6 years with good (70%) results.

Annual asters don't store well for me. I buy new seed every year.

Don't have experience with old dianthus or cornflower seed.

Most other stuff will last a year. Many seeds will last more.

Pelleted seed is sometimes primed: i.e. the seed is pre-germinated so
that germination occurs more uniformly after planting. In this
condition, the seed will not last as long, so don't count on saving it
for next year. You are unlikely to run across pelleted seed in the seed
packets in the racks.