Old 14-05-2003, 04:56 AM
Cereoid-UR12

Default Paulownia tomentosa again (was: Identification please)

Guess what boys and girls,

Its that time of year when everyone rediscovers Paulownia tomentosa, the
"Princess Tree" again for the first time since it bloomed last year!!! (So
much for long term memory.)

When I saw them blooming along the Jones Falls Expressway (I 83) last
weekend, I thought "I bet we will be flooded with inquiries on the internet
about this plant just like last year"!!!! The fun has begun!!!

If you look at the flowers up close, they look like large snapdragons!!!

Lovely flowers, intoxicating sweet fragrance but an extremely invasive weed
tree.

jwhitmer wrote in message
Can anyone tell me the name of the trees that are in bloom now along the
eastern coast of the U.S.? They are large trees with clusters of light
purple flowers in the shape of upside down grapes. I saw lots of them

along
the Skyline Drive last week. They are absolutely beautiful!

TIA

Jo Ann in MD.

Old 14-05-2003, 02:20 PM
GrampysGurl

Lovely flowers, intoxicating sweet fragrance but an extremely invasive weed
tree.

Is this the one in the Sunday newspaper magazines that grow really, really
fast? They make them sound like some miracle tree?
Colleen
Zone 5 Connecticut
Old 14-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Cereoid-UR12

Sorry, I don't get the Connecticut newspaper but if you are referring to the
deceptive Michigan Bulb company ads that show a drawing of the plant rather
than a photo, that's the one.

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrol...ptomentosa.htm

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/si...ownia/tomentos
a.htm

Old 14-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Bill Spohn

Is this the one in the Sunday newspaper magazines that grow really, really
fast? They make them sound like some miracle tree?

They look nice in spring, and do grow like weeds. There is a lumber industry in
the Southeast for them, though I don't think I've ever seen anything made from
Paulownia wood (one assumes a softwood).
Old 14-05-2003, 05:20 PM
David J. Bockman

Pawlownia is coveted in Japan, where it is called 'Princess Tree'.
Traditionally, the wood is used to make Hope Chests for brides-to-be. In
Japan the wood commands an insanely high price, which has spawned a whole
illicit trade in the wood. I had several enourmous old Pawlonia cut down by
poachers (actually a single individual who was ultimately arrested for doing
so) on my property in the Shenendoahs.

Dave

Old 14-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Bill Spohn

don't have the noxious P.tomentosa. I have Paulownia kavakamii.

I don't know that one - what is better about it?
Old 15-05-2003, 07:08 AM
Cereoid-UR12

The species epithet is more difficult to pronounce!!!

Old 15-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Julia Green

"David J. Bockman" wrote in message
Pawlownia is coveted in Japan, where it is called 'Princess Tree'.

Oh...maybe I didn't spell it wrong?