GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Vegi plants in pots?? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/22428-vegi-plants-pots.html)

14-05-2003 01:56 PM

Vegi plants in pots??

Is it cool to plant vegi plants like peppers and tomatoes in pots on my
deck? Or will I end up having to transplant them to the yard? Thanks!!

Chris

SBHCOM 14-05-2003 02:44 PM

Vegi plants in pots??

I grew awsome tomatos lats year in pots. this year i am growing peppers,
tomatos and cukes!

A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a dumb man something to stick in his
mouth.

14-05-2003 03:08 PM

Vegi plants in pots??

Thanks. I have some chili pepper plants, bell peppers and two tomato plants
planted so hopefuly they will turn out good. Next year I think we might
actualy plant a garden in the backyard and grow tons of stuff.

Thanks again!

Chris

Vox Humana 14-05-2003 10:20 PM

Vegi plants in pots??

wrote in message
. com...
Is it cool to plant vegi plants like peppers and tomatoes in pots on my
deck? Or will I end up having to transplant them to the yard? Thanks!!

I have grown tomatoes, peppers, cuecumbers, zuchini, chives, tarrigon,
parsley, eggplant, mint, and dill in containers on the deck. Here is some
information from a tip sheet on the subject:
http://www.bloomingarden.com/TIPS.html
A. WHY CONTAINER GARDENING?

1. No cultivating or weeding

2. Can start early (don't worry about frost or hail, just bring pots into
garage)

3. Pots can be moved to location of greatest number of sun hours

4. Less plant disease and insect problems (plants are healthier and have
better resistance)

5. Larger yields due to controlled environment

6. One pot can give wide range of vegetables:

a) Early Spring (March, April) - Lettuce, Radish, Peas

b) Later (in same pot) any summer vegetable which can be grown after fear of
frost Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Peppers, Green Beans

7. This is for the lazy man or woman, because care and upkeep of the plants
are minimal

.. SUPPLIES

1. 14" or larger plastic or clay pot

2. Good draining soil, i.e. FertilomeŽ Potting Mix (don't use dirt out of
the garden)

3. Large cage

4. Liquid fertilizer, e.g. Miracle Gro 15-30-15

5. Granular fertilizer, high middle number, e.g. 5-10-10 or 6-12-12

C. PROCEDURES

1. Place one or two pot fragments in drain holes (a pot with side holes is
best)

2. Place dirt in pot carefully (don't move pot fragments)

3. Fill dirt to 2" from top (acts as water reservoir)

4. Best to plant one plant per pot (some plants like cucumbers and peppers
can have 2 or 3 plants per pot)

5. ALWAYS LOOSEN THE ROOTS!!

6. Herbs are best and less expensive if grown from seed

7. Cages are placed at time of planting

a) spread bottom prongs for stability

b) push to bottom of pot

8. Place in sunniest area available

a) 8-10 hours (good)

b) 10-14 hours (best)

9. First six weeks use liquid plant food every 10-14 days

10. Later use granular fertilizer (one tablespoonful per plant every 7-10
days)

11. Water as needed (on hot 90 degree plus days, I have watered twice a day)

12. As plant grows, train branches to grow inside cage

13. At the end of season:

a) Remove the plant and turn the soil over

b) Leave roots in the pot

c) Keep plastic pots outside over the winter

d) Use the same soil next season

D. VEGETABLES I HAVE GROWN

1. Tomatoes

2. Peppers

3. Cabbage

4. Eggplant

5. Cucumber

6. Squash (butternut, spaghetti, zucchini)

7. Broccoli

8. Green Onion

9. Carrots

10. Celery

11. String Beans

12. Herbs (basil, dill, parsley)

13. LET YOU IMAGINATION BE YOUR GUIDE!

DigitalVinyl 15-05-2003 01:32 AM

Vegi plants in pots??

wrote:

Is it cool to plant vegi plants like peppers and tomatoes in pots on my
deck? Or will I end up having to transplant them to the yard? Thanks!!

Just a matter of choosing a sufficient sized pot. One of my books
suggest for an indeterminate/vining tomato plant with large tomatoes
you will need a 5 gallon pot minimum. With rich soil Sq.Foot gardening
suggest a foot diameter is enough room for tomatoes or peppers.

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)

Felice Friese 15-05-2003 06:20 PM

Vegi plants in pots??

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message

Is it cool to plant vegi plants like peppers and tomatoes in pots on my
deck? Or will I end up having to transplant them to the yard? Thanks!!

Just a matter of choosing a sufficient sized pot. One of my books
suggest for an indeterminate/vining tomato plant with large tomatoes
you will need a 5 gallon pot minimum. With rich soil Sq.Foot gardening
suggest a foot diameter is enough room for tomatoes or peppers.

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)

Today's Boston Globe has an article on growing vegetables in containers:
http://www.boston.com/globe/living/at_home/

Felice

DigitalVinyl 15-05-2003 06:56 PM

Vegi plants in pots??

"Felice Friese" wrote:

Today's Boston Globe has an article on growing vegetables in containers:
http://www.boston.com/globe/living/at_home/

Felice

I have the BOUNTIFUL CONTAINER book they reference in the article. I
think it is the best one I have.

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)