Old 14-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Sundar Narasimhan

Default grubs, moles, and now dogs.. how to deal w/ lawn's circle of life

Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 14:19:41 GMT

I posted a few days ago wrt. our dog peeing on the lawn, and the
consensus was learn to live w/ it.

I now have a different sort of question: the dog is now tearing up whole
pieces of the yard, digging. My wife says she's hunting for moles/voles
(our cats have brought back a couple of these, and I've seen them too,
they create these bumps in the yard all over.. and I usually just tamp
them down -- figuring we'd live w/ all these animals .

Is there any way to stop her digging all over? (At least the peeing is
only in a few spots, which I can deal w/ hopefully w/ watering, seeding
etc.) but her digging up these 10'x10' feet areas might become a bit of
a hassle.. Thoughts?

The moles are there apparently for grubs.. which we should probably deal
with as well (I'm looking into Merit vs. nematodes etc. .
Interestingly, we never had grub problems, until my wife brought
pheromone traps for Japanese beetles.. which we got hundreds of once we
installed the trap (which I guess was a big mistake .

Old 14-05-2003, 05:56 PM
Tater

http://www.predatorpee.com/

http://www.critter-repellent.com/

http://www.bird-x.com/products/foxurine.html

They have 100% predator urines for sale, they are environmentally safe and
will not harm your pets. There is even a Predator pee for dog and cat
training, these products should help you get rid of unwanted holes and
rodents.
There are many places to get these products from the above sites are just a
few or you can just type "100% natural animal repellent" in a search engine.

http://www.beneficialbugs.com

If you are looking for a source for natural insect predators to take care of
your grub and beetle problem then the site above is the best. They sell
everything form lady bugs to nematodes and much more. They have good prices
as well. I hope this helps.

Old 14-05-2003, 10:20 PM
jo

"Sundar Narasimhan" wrote in message
I posted a few days ago wrt. our dog peeing on the lawn, and the
consensus was learn to live w/ it.

I now have a different sort of question: the dog is now tearing up whole
pieces of the yard, digging. My wife says she's hunting for moles/voles
(our cats have brought back a couple of these, and I've seen them too,
they create these bumps in the yard all over.. and I usually just tamp
them down -- figuring we'd live w/ all these animals .

Is there any way to stop her digging all over? (At least the peeing is
only in a few spots, which I can deal w/ hopefully w/ watering, seeding
etc.) but her digging up these 10'x10' feet areas might become a bit of
a hassle.. Thoughts?

Keep the dog inside unless she's supervised outside.
One of my neighbors has a terrier, a breed known for digging up gardens and
creatures, that's how he keeps his yard so nice.

There is no way to change her behavior if no one is there to correct her.
Have someone play and exercise her, chase balls, go on a run, etc. Some high
energy breeds can go for hours on end.

A tired dog is a good dog :-) A bored, energetic dog will find itself a
"job" to do.

Jo

Old 15-05-2003, 02:08 AM
Tegan

Sundar Narasimhan wrote:
the dog is now tearing up whole pieces of the yard, digging.

Sundar: There's a pets discussion group too, but from what I've seen,
it's tragically mired in flame wars, and reading the mean-spirited
posts there raises my blood pressure. Anyway, if you don't find a
solution to the mole issue (I know moles are *another* phenom some
folks choose to live with, since they do help get rid of the grubs),
and want to try to address just the dog's behavior OR if you decide
that it isn't about moles and is just a behavior thing: I've never
had the problem of a dog who was committed to digging, but the pet
lady on the radio has a strategy that she recommends applying to many
behaviors you'd like to eliminate: Try to find a situation in which
the behavior is desirable or at least not a problem. Try to teach the
dog a name for the behavior, in order to put the behavior on command.
Then ask the dog to do it when it's ok, and redirect the dog when the
behavior is not ok... SO, in this instance, she says pick a spot where
you don't mind having the dog dig, and go dig there yourself, saying
"dig, dig, dig" in a playful, happy encouraging voice as you do. Film
the dog watching you do this, and send the film to Funniest Home
Movies... WAIT, no, forget that last sentence. Then, call the dog
over and encourage her to dig there, too. When she does, celebrate
like mad (assuming that you do have a way of doing this that won't
scare her - that the dog will recognize as celebrating her catching
on) - at my house that would go "Yaaaay! Wooohooo! Good Girl! Good
Dig Dig Girl!" with applause, of course. When the dog goes to dig
anywhere else, catch her as she JUST about to start (the pet lady is
really big on timing), and direct her to the spot and encourage her to
dig there. Celebrate like mad.

I'd be interested to hear if this kind of thing has worked for anyone.
As I said, I'd post at the pets group, but they just creep me out
over there. Hope no one minds.

Best of luck.
Old 15-05-2003, 04:32 AM
SugarChile

"Tegan" wrote in message
dig there. Celebrate like mad.

I'd be interested to hear if this kind of thing has worked for anyone.
As I said, I'd post at the pets group, but they just creep me out
over there. Hope no one minds.

Have to agree with you about the dog group. I was trying to hang out there
recently, but the trolls are truly terrible. There are some nice people
there as well, but I didn't have the patience to sort through it all. Very
sad.

Anyhow, yes, I've done this kind of training with my dog. I've taught her
to relieve herself on command, which is very useful, and to dig in an out
of the way spot. The main thing is to spend time with your dog, getting
exercise and doing stuff that is interesting from the dog's perspective, so
that she cares about your opinion and wants to please you .

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

Old 17-05-2003, 01:56 AM
Tegan

"SugarChile" wrote
The main thing is to spend time with your dog, getting
exercise and doing stuff that is interesting from the dog's perspective, so
that she cares about your opinion and wants to please you .

BEAUTIFULLY well put, SugarChile. Yes...I like that: "interesting
from the dog's perspective." Absolutely. And she gives you the
laughter-induced endorphin rush in return.

Oh, yeah. On topic: Sundar, yep - water and reseed. Stomp
gopher-lifted bits of earth back down. Rinse; Repeat.