Old 14-05-2003, 08:56 PM
jo

Default Suggestions for an evergreen screen?

I want to improve our view from a back porch that consist of a backyard that
is about 20 ft. of grass then natural woods for about 25 to 30 ft. followed
by a clearing with a creek. I would like to plant a tall screen just on the
other side of the creek along my property line to help screen out the stuff
the neighbor in back of me likes to store there.

The only thing I can think of is arborvitae of some kind. I like the
"natural" wooded look, but when the trees lose their leaves a line of
arborvitae planted at an angle across the back of my yard might look out of
place?
I'm open to any and all suggestions. We're talking southeastern clay soil
in southern zone 7.
Thanks for any ideas!
Jo

Old 21-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Big Wave

Maybe try variations of pine or holly trees - both are fast growing and
suited for the zone you live in. I'm in South Carolina so I'm familiar with
the climate.

Here's a helpful tree site:
http://www.state.sc.us/forest/refsel.htm

Old 21-05-2003, 04:20 PM
paghat

On 5/14/03 3:58 PM, in article
, "jo" wrote:

I want to improve our view from a back porch that consist of a backyard that
is about 20 ft. of grass then natural woods for about 25 to 30 ft. followed
by a clearing with a creek. I would like to plant a tall screen just on the
other side of the creek along my property line to help screen out the stuff
the neighbor in back of me likes to store there.

The only thing I can think of is arborvitae of some kind. I like the
"natural" wooded look, but when the trees lose their leaves a line of
arborvitae planted at an angle across the back of my yard might look out of
place?
I'm open to any and all suggestions. We're talking southeastern clay soil
in southern zone 7.
Thanks for any ideas!
Jo

I don't find arborvitae all that "natural" nor anything else lined up in a
row as a screen. If you want natural, you could consider a staggered MIXED
screen. If you like aborvitae, then select a couple different cultivars so
they won't look like twins or triplets; break them up with an Alaska
cedar; add in a broadleaf evergreen tree such as Portugese laurel cherry;
have as a centerpiece an extremely well-chosen twisted or weeping atlas
blue cedar or a cedar of lebananon; don't plant them too terribly close
together & fill in between with large woody shrubs, preferably flowering.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 22-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Allview

I'm open to any and all suggestions. We're talking southeastern clay soil
in southern zone 7.

I don't know much about your zone but pyracantha is natural looking and it
provides berries and nesting cover for the birds. Mine grows in clay with no
care whatever.

Marilyn in Ohio
Old 22-05-2003, 07:20 PM
jo

"Big Wave" wrote in message
Maybe try variations of pine or holly trees - both are fast growing and
suited for the zone you live in. I'm in South Carolina so I'm familiar

with
the climate.

Here's a helpful tree site:
http://www.state.sc.us/forest/refsel.htm

I don't know why, but holly never even occurred to me.
Definately can use that.

I briefly considered pine trees, but thought they would grow too wide and be
too airy to be an effective screen.
Thanks for your reply.
Jo

Old 22-05-2003, 07:20 PM
jo

"paghat" wrote in
I don't find arborvitae all that "natural" nor anything else lined up in a
row as a screen. If you want natural, you could consider a staggered MIXED
screen.

You are so right. I've got limited space to plant in back of the creek at
one side of the property line, but perhaps I can stagger in a couple of
things in front to sort of "fill in".

If you like aborvitae, then select a couple different cultivars so
they won't look like twins or triplets; break them up with an Alaska
cedar; add in a broadleaf evergreen tree such as Portugese laurel cherry;
have as a centerpiece an extremely well-chosen twisted or weeping atlas
blue cedar or a cedar of lebananon; don't plant them too terribly close
together & fill in between with large woody shrubs, preferably flowering.

Arborvitae was the only evergreen I could think of that was readily
available for a quick screen, but I didn't like the idea of a mass of them.
Unoriginality at its worst. I need to do more research about evergreens
that will work in this area without getting too wide and growing over the
creek or too airy looking and defeating my purpose of planting the screen in
the first place. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

BTW , nice work on your website! I bookmarked it to peruse whenever I get
the time. I love the holly tree on the site, but was dismayed to learn it
would take 20 years to get those great red berries!
Jo

-paghat the ratgirl

Old 22-05-2003, 07:32 PM
jo

"Allview" wrote in message
I'm open to any and all suggestions. We're talking southeastern clay

soil
in southern zone 7.

I don't know much about your zone but pyracantha is natural looking and it
provides berries and nesting cover for the birds. Mine grows in clay with

no
care whatever.

Marilyn in Ohio

Thanks Marilyn, just looked it up and there are 2 types that would do well
in our area. Nice color for fall, too.

The birds are plentiful in this area, sounds like an awakening jungle in the
morning. I'm sure they won't complain about extra berries. We've been
watching everything from hummingbirds to hawks. It's been a really great
change for us.
Jo

Old 22-05-2003, 10:56 PM
paghat

In article , "jo"
wrote:

"Big Wave" wrote in message
Maybe try variations of pine or holly trees - both are fast growing and
suited for the zone you live in. I'm in South Carolina so I'm familiar

with
the climate.

Here's a helpful tree site:
http://www.state.sc.us/forest/refsel.htm

I don't know why, but holly never even occurred to me.
Definately can use that.

I briefly considered pine trees, but thought they would grow too wide and be
too airy to be an effective screen.
Thanks for your reply.
Jo

I think holly can be nasty if you need to work or walk around the area,
but Japanese holly has nonstickery tiny evergreen leaves, & there are
cultivars for almost any height one wishes. If put in a lot of sun they'll
need a lot of watering though.