GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mulch question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/22512-mulch-question.html)

Mvkehoe 14-05-2003 11:56 PM

Mulch question

I know that fresh wood shavings or chips deplete nitrogen from the soil. But
how fresh is fresh? Some limbs were cut up and chipped near us in February so
enquiring minds would like to know! Many thanks in advance,
Vonnie

Travis 15-05-2003 03:08 AM

Mulch question

Mvkehoe wrote:
I know that fresh wood shavings or chips deplete nitrogen from the
soil. But how fresh is fresh? Some limbs were cut up and chipped
near us in February so enquiring minds would like to know! Many
thanks in advance,

I think only if they are mixed into the soil do you need to worry.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Pam 15-05-2003 04:20 AM

Mulch question

Mvkehoe wrote:

I know that fresh wood shavings or chips deplete nitrogen from the soil. But
how fresh is fresh? Some limbs were cut up and chipped near us in February so
enquiring minds would like to know! Many thanks in advance,
Vonnie

Fresh wood mulch will result in very little nitrogen depletion as long as it is
not incorporated into the soil. Smaller plants like annuals and perennials may
show some effect from surface application, but it won't faze shrubs and trees.

pam - gardengal

Tsu Dho Nimh 15-05-2003 02:20 PM

Mulch question

(Mvkehoe) wrote:

I know that fresh wood shavings or chips deplete nitrogen from the soil.

Not enough to worry about. Go ahead and mulch.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both

Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A. 15-05-2003 04:08 PM

Mulch question

Mvkehoe wrote:

I know that fresh wood shavings or chips deplete nitrogen from the soil. But
how fresh is fresh? Some limbs were cut up and chipped near us in February so
enquiring minds would like to know! Many thanks in advance,
Vonnie

Lay down a newspaper barrier first. Less depletion, better
weed control, and the mulch itself will go farther.

Trish K. 19-05-2003 12:20 AM

Mulch question

Mvkehoe wrote:

I know that fresh wood shavings or chips deplete nitrogen from the soil. But
how fresh is fresh? Some limbs were cut up and chipped near us in February so
enquiring minds would like to know! Many thanks in advance,
Vonnie

Have good soil, you are creating a water restraining artificial
environment. Most everyone does, me too, but that is the answer to the
question, it's not how much you lose, but what you use.

Stephen M. Henning 19-05-2003 05:32 PM

Mulch question

Mvkehoe wrote:

I know that fresh wood shavings or chips deplete nitrogen from the soil. But
how fresh is fresh? Some limbs were cut up and chipped near us in February so
enquiring minds would like to know! Many thanks in advance,
Vonnie

It is not the freshness, it is the decomposition that depletes nitrogen
from the soil. So the chipped wood will depelete nitrogen when it
decomposes. They is why not only do chips that don't decompose last
longer but have less deleterious effect on soil nutrients. On the other
hand, the decomposition adds humous to the soil which is a big plus. My
advice, use wood chips and add a balanced fertilizer when it starts to
decompose. Actually the nitrogen will speed up the decomposition so
apply the fertilizer to the soil, not the mulch.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://www.users.fast.net/~shenning/rhody.html