GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Curious about blooming tree in Maryland (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/22547-curious-about-blooming-tree-maryland.html)

Richard 15-05-2003 02:44 AM

Curious about blooming tree in Maryland

Can anyone help me identify a tree I saw recently while in Maryland in
early May. Understory-type tree, at the end of the branches it had cone-
shaped clusters of purple (lavender) tubular flowers. Leaves weren't really
too far out, and I never got close enough to identify their exact shape.
Seen it growing along the metro line between Baltimore and Hunt Valley. I
know it isn't dogwood, or wisteria growing in other trees (the only answers
the people I was with could give me).

SugarChile 15-05-2003 03:32 AM

Curious about blooming tree in Maryland

See the thread "Identification please". It's a paulownia.

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

--

Zone 6, Southcentral PA
. ..

Cereoid-UR12 15-05-2003 07:08 AM

Curious about blooming tree in Maryland

Its Paulownia tomentosa, the "Princess Tree".

You are only the third person to ask in this newsgroup.

. ..

Richard 17-05-2003 12:44 AM

Curious about blooming tree in Maryland

"SugarChile" wrote in news:P_Cwa.70999
:

See the thread "Identification please". It's a paulownia.

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

Thank you Sue, apparently we don't have those trees out here on the western
plains, yet - maybe it's too dry for them to get a good foothold or it gets
too hot in the summers or cold in the winters (I am just guessing) - or
maybe we just have too much sense to order from Michigan Bulb Company (this
I seriously doubt), but I know I'd recognize those purple flowers if I had
seen them before.

Richard (Nebraska zone 5)