Old 15-05-2003, 06:08 AM
Chip G.

Default Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It

On my recently purchased property I have a huge poison ivy problem.
Poison ivy is found in every rock wall (several), around the base of
nearly every tree (plenty), and even in large areas of grass (which
used to be over grown with tall grass and small shrubs). What is the
best method to kill the poison ivy without killing all the grass,
trees, and shrubs which surround it?

After one bout of the oozing rash this year I have finally become an
expert of identifying the "leaves of three". Unfortunately with the
size of the local population I don't have much choice about "leaving it
be".

Thanks for your help,

--
--Chip
remove dots in prefix to fix email address

Old 15-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Peter H

"Chip G." wrote in message
On my recently purchased property I have a huge poison ivy problem.
Poison ivy is found in every rock wall (several), around the base of
nearly every tree (plenty), and even in large areas of grass (which
used to be over grown with tall grass and small shrubs). What is the
best method to kill the poison ivy without killing all the grass,
trees, and shrubs which surround it?

After one bout of the oozing rash this year I have finally become an
expert of identifying the "leaves of three". Unfortunately with the
size of the local population I don't have much choice about "leaving it
be".

Thanks for your help,

--
--Chip

If I recall properly poison ivy is susceptible to most weed killers. Whack
it now and then again in 2 weeks.

Peter H

Old 15-05-2003, 01:32 PM
JNJ

On my recently purchased property I have a huge poison ivy problem.
Poison ivy is found in every rock wall (several), around the base of
nearly every tree (plenty), and even in large areas of grass (which
used to be over grown with tall grass and small shrubs). What is the
best method to kill the poison ivy without killing all the grass,
trees, and shrubs which surround it?

I have found 2 solutions effective.

1) RoundUp -- In areas where you cannot spray, use a paintbrush to apply it
directly to the leaves.

2) Urine -- Human or animal urine, directly on the leaves works wonders. My
dogs keep the fenceline clean now.

James

Old 15-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Frogleg

On Thu, 15 May 2003 00:04:20 -0400, "Chip G."
wrote:

On my recently purchased property I have a huge poison ivy problem.
Poison ivy is found in every rock wall (several), around the base of
nearly every tree (plenty), and even in large areas of grass (which
used to be over grown with tall grass and small shrubs). What is the
best method to kill the poison ivy without killing all the grass,
trees, and shrubs which surround it?

After one bout of the oozing rash this year I have finally become an
expert of identifying the "leaves of three". Unfortunately with the
size of the local population I don't have much choice about "leaving it
be".

Check Google groups for "poison ivy" discussions here. Much good
advice and multiple cautions. Fortunately, It *can* be eradicated. But
take care. And beware 2nd-hand connections. Don't scratch!
Old 15-05-2003, 05:56 PM
Phisherman

wrote:

On my recently purchased property I have a huge poison ivy problem.
Poison ivy is found in every rock wall (several), around the base of
nearly every tree (plenty), and even in large areas of grass (which
used to be over grown with tall grass and small shrubs). What is the
best method to kill the poison ivy without killing all the grass,
trees, and shrubs which surround it?

After one bout of the oozing rash this year I have finally become an
expert of identifying the "leaves of three". Unfortunately with the
size of the local population I don't have much choice about "leaving it
be".

Thanks for your help,

RoundUp works great in secluded areas. Ortho makes a foaming poison
ivy killer--I spray a little into a cup and carefully put the foam
onto the plant using a brush. I get someone who is not allergic to
poison ivy to pull it out of the flowerbeds and groundcover areas.
I'm very allergic to the stuff so I won't take any chances with gloves
and protective clothing. Recognizing the plant is so important!
Because you have a lot of it, you might want to hire someone to remove
it for you then you can spot-control from then on.

Old 15-05-2003, 07:32 PM
Chip G.

In article , JNJ
wrote:

1) RoundUp -- In areas where you cannot spray, use a paintbrush to apply it
directly to the leaves.

Roundup will kill anything it touches, right? I'd like to find a spray
that can be broadly applied to large areas without killing all the
grass, trees, or shrubs.

Old 15-05-2003, 08:32 PM
Frank Logullo

"Chip G." wrote in message
In article , JNJ
wrote:

1) RoundUp -- In areas where you cannot spray, use a paintbrush to apply

it
directly to the leaves.

Roundup will kill anything it touches, right? I'd like to find a spray
that can be broadly applied to large areas without killing all the
grass, trees, or shrubs.

Broadleaf killer that is safe for lawn will work. Of course you must leave
off broadleaf trees etc.
The urine guy is nuts. Dogs are probably just killing all growth.

Old 15-05-2003, 09:20 PM
JNJ

The urine guy is nuts. Dogs are probably just killing all growth.

Nope -- actually tested it. Urine kills the stuff. And there's plenty of
other stuff growing along the fenceline as well.

James

Old 16-05-2003, 04:08 AM
Ed Lucarini

Hi Chris,

I'm a former cable guy and I use to have to deal with Poison Ivy alot when I
worked in the field. I have to tell you about this amazing product I found
to protect me (being highly allergic to poison Oak and Ivy) from getting a
rash.

The stuff is called Tecnu outdoor skin cleanser for poison oak and ivy. It
kills the affecting oils from the plant. You can find it at CVS or maybe
Walgreens. This stuff saved me many times. So if you want to rip the stuff
out by hand use Tecnu liberally then wear gloves, long sleeves and pants and
have at it. Then, afterward, I would apply it again on my head neck and
wrists ( any wear that could have gotten exposed) and go in and shower.

good luck
Ed

Old 16-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Danielle

"Chip G." wrote in message
On my recently purchased property I have a huge poison ivy problem.
Poison ivy is found in every rock wall (several), around the base of
nearly every tree (plenty), and even in large areas of grass (which
used to be over grown with tall grass and small shrubs). What is the
best method to kill the poison ivy without killing all the grass,
trees, and shrubs which surround it?

After one bout of the oozing rash this year I have finally become an
expert of identifying the "leaves of three". Unfortunately with the
size of the local population I don't have much choice about "leaving it
be".

Thanks for your help,

--
--Chip
remove dots in prefix to fix email address

Am i right in thinking that urinating on the effected area helps with the problem?

Old 16-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Peter H

om...

"Chip G." wrote in message
[...]

I'm going to have to stop reading this post before I urinate myself. hehehe

Peter H

Old 16-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Peter H

"JNJ" wrote in message

The urine guy is nuts. Dogs are probably just killing all growth.

Nope -- actually tested it. Urine kills the stuff. And there's plenty of
other stuff growing along the fenceline as well.

James

So I guess all you really need is a couple of cases of beer, a big party,
and an " out of order" sign for the bathroom. ;-)

Peter H

Old 16-05-2003, 01:44 PM
Dwight Sipler

Peter H wrote:

"JNJ" wrote in message

The urine guy is nuts. Dogs are probably just killing all growth.

Nope -- actually tested it. Urine kills the stuff. And there's plenty of
other stuff growing along the fenceline as well.

I've tried it and while it kills the leaves and sets poison ivy back a
bit, it doesn't kill the plant. Not a long-term solution.
Old 16-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Dwight Sipler

"Ed Lucarini" wrote ...
...I'm a former cable guy and I use to have to deal with Poison Ivy alot when I
worked in the field. I have to tell you about this amazing product I found
to protect me (being highly allergic to poison Oak and Ivy) from getting a
rash.

The stuff is called Tecnu outdoor skin cleanser for poison oak and ivy. It
kills the affecting oils from the plant. You can find it at CVS or maybe
Walgreens. This stuff saved me many times. So if you want to rip the stuff
out by hand use Tecnu liberally then wear gloves, long sleeves and pants and
have at it. Then, afterward, I would apply it again on my head neck and
wrists ( any wear that could have gotten exposed) and go in and shower.

Tecnu is readily available.

I have also used yellow soap (Fels Naptha). Work up a lather on your
arms and let it dry. Our farm workers use this and it keeps them from
getting it. After you've gotten into the PI, just wash the whole thing
off. Soap is already there. The treatment may have to be renewed
periodically, depending on how much you perspire.

I expect it varies on different people, but the irritant oil from PI
takes around 10-20 minutes to get through the skin. If you wash promptly
(even without the pre-treatment described above) it appears to keep the
rash away, or at least minimize it.

I have a set of PI gloves. I spray painted the back of the gloves red so
they're recognizable (paint wears off the palms of the gloves). That way
I can (1) not contaminate all my gloves and (2) be careful putting on
the PI gloves.

Something like 25-40% of the population doesn't get PI rashes, or at
least they aren't hypersensitive to it. Find one of these people and
hire them to pull out the roots of the PI. It generally takes a couple
of tries to get all the roots. PI in stone walls is much harder to get
rid of.

I've also heard that Jewelweed can be used as a topical treatment for
the rash. Jewelweed grows along the edge of wet areas. It has a hollow
stem and the seeds are formed in such a way that if disturbed they
spring apart and fly outward (the plant is also called "touch-me-not").

Note that the irritant oil can be carried on clothing for a long time.
If you turn your clothing inside out when you take it off, you can keep
your laundry engineer from getting PI from your clothes.

I haven't found a good way to keep your pets from giving it to you.
Old 16-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Frank Logullo

"JNJ" wrote in message

The urine guy is nuts. Dogs are probably just killing all growth.

Nope -- actually tested it. Urine kills the stuff. And there's plenty of
other stuff growing along the fenceline as well.

Don't want to get into a ****ing match. But in my personal experience, mine
doesn't work.
But, then, I am not a dog. Perhaps you can research the difference. Would
be highly useful to herbicide manufacturers looking for organic solutions
Frank