Old 24-01-2003, 03:10 AM
tim

Default yellow powder on my grass?

Hello.
My front lawn is a mix of bermuda and fescue. I've been noticing
patches of
yellowing on the fescue grass throught my lawn. it seems to be
spreading (slowly but surely). the blades seem to be covered with a
yellow powder that comes off on your fingers if you touch it. it
looks like there are some small granuals on the blade as well. my
first thought was pollen, but it seems to only be affecting the fescue
grass.
I do have a young jacaranda tree that is shedding its small leaves,
but the yellow grass is in other parts of the lawn as well.
I don't recall this yellowing last winter. any thoughts?

thanks.
Old 25-01-2003, 04:21 AM
Snooze

Sounds like it's gotten a fungus.

Most fungi spread when the grass is wet, so reduce your watering frequency,
but water deeply. Consider dethatching your grass, because thatch is often a
breeding ground for fungi and other disease, plus it weakens the grass,
making it less resistant to disease.

Couldn't hurt to core the lawn as well while you're at it, and apply a light
fertilizer.

Sameer

om...

Old 25-01-2003, 06:40 AM
Marley1372

Consider dethatching your grass, because thatch is often a
breeding ground for fungi and other disease, plus it weakens the grass,

Thatch does not weaken the grass, and in fact in many cases, removing the
thatch can cause the turf to decline. The best thing to do is plant resistant
varieties, and make sure you have the right turfgrass for the proper location.

Toad