GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Millipedes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/22751-millipedes.html)

Surfs Up 16-05-2003 04:20 AM

Millipedes

Are these ugly creatures beneficial or harmful in the garden? I have
unearthed a lot of them this season, at first quick glance I thought they
were an earthworm what a horrible surprise.

YUCK!

Lar 16-05-2003 06:44 AM

Millipedes

In article LPYwa.211068$kYH.140140
@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com,
says...
:) Are these ugly creatures beneficial or harmful in the garden? I have
:) unearthed a lot of them this season, at first quick glance I thought they
:) were an earthworm what a horrible surprise.
:)
:)
They usually will just be there, help breaking down
organic material but at times will damage plants with
tender stems and I have had them do slight damage to
squash fruit before. Biggest problem you might have is
if they go on a mass migration in the Fall getting into
the house as a nuisance.
--
Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Surfs Up 16-05-2003 08:20 PM

Millipedes

Biggest problem you might have is
if they go on a mass migration in the Fall getting into
the house as a nuisance.

God forbid that should happen they are the only thing in the garden that
makes me scream.

Lar 17-05-2003 02:44 AM

Millipedes

In article sYaxa.190127$w7k.188618
@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com,
says...
:) God forbid that should happen they are the only thing in the garden that
:) makes me scream.
:)
:)
Then you would really hate the ones in I used to find in
South Texas that would get up to seven inches long.