Old 17-05-2003, 08:32 PM
rtih

Default Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It -systemic killers

use a gel glyphosate (systemic) weedkiller which u paint onto the
leaves - it says cover all the leaves with it but i find if u get 50%
of coverage and no rain it kills the plant.
preferably u dont use a chemical solution but with PI that means
regular (weekly during growing cycle) cutting to base - v. difficult
with ivies but eventually effective e.g. 70% first year and the rest
in three.
cheers Rich
(and yeah the urine thing is not going to work)
Old 18-05-2003, 11:56 AM
Allview

I had a huge vine going up a blue spruce. Madgardener advised me to cut it
with a saw and paint both cut ends with Roundup. When I cut it the ends didn't
come apart to I had to make another cut, making a "V" so I could get a
paintbrush into it. Killed that pi within a week. I used a lid for the
roundup, disposable gloves, and a foam disposable brush. I have to claw my way
into that tree pretty soon to see if there are any more vines starting up the
tree.

Marilyn in Ohio
Old 19-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Big Al

My buddy at work suggested spraying gasoline on the plants. He said
this would dissolve the urushioil(sp?) and kill the plant. I am kind
of leery due to the potential fire hazard. Any thoughts?
Old 19-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Pam

Big Al wrote:

My buddy at work suggested spraying gasoline on the plants. He said
this would dissolve the urushioil(sp?) and kill the plant. I am kind
of leery due to the potential fire hazard. Any thoughts?

I would consider this pretty poor advice. Regardless of the fire hazard
(which is considerable), one would have to be pretty darn precise with
the spraying to make sure there was no contamination of desirable
plantings or runoff onto the ground, which WILL kill soil biota and make
future plantings iffy at best. There are products registered for this
type of application - Roundup, Brush-be-Gone, Brush and Balckberry
Blocker, etc., if manual removal is too difficult. Home remedies like the
gasoline are frought with too many unfavorable side effects to be a
serious consideration.

pam - gardengal

Old 20-05-2003, 12:32 AM
Chip G.

In article , Pam
wrote:

My buddy at work suggested spraying gasoline on the plants. He said
this would dissolve the urushioil(sp?) and kill the plant. I am kind
of leery due to the potential fire hazard. Any thoughts?

I would consider this pretty poor advice. Regardless of the fire hazard
(which is considerable), one would have to be pretty darn precise with
the spraying to make sure there was no contamination of desirable
plantings or runoff onto the ground, which WILL kill soil biota and make
future plantings iffy at best. There are products registered for this
type of application - Roundup, Brush-be-Gone, Brush and Balckberry
Blocker, etc., if manual removal is too difficult. Home remedies like the
gasoline are frought with too many unfavorable side effects to be a
serious consideration.

Not to mention the fact that organizations like the EPA might have some
things to say about it. Round-up seems to be the heavy favorite by just
about everyone. I purchased some today. Not cheap stuff, but if it does
the job it'll be worth every penny.

--
--Chip
remove dots in prefix to fix email address

Old 20-05-2003, 05:32 AM
Susiemw

I just tried Brush Be Gone this weekend. I can't wait to see if it works. Cross
your fingers for a quick demise to the poison ivy.

I have a bunch of it right where I park my car. Not a good place considering I
am very allergic to this stuff. argggghhhhhh

Susan
Old 21-05-2003, 11:32 PM
Other Brother Kevin

Chip G. wrote:

In article , Pam
wrote:

[...]

Your "BUDDY" is an idiot. Gas is very effective against PI but it's one
of the last things you want in your soil, especially if you have a well.
Roundup, more RU, then more RU. I've got about 3acres of PI I've been
working on for a couple years. My property should be clear this year and
I'm starting to push it back on 3 of my neighbors properties. another
couple years and it should be all gone.

Old 23-05-2003, 08:08 PM
DKat

The image of Poison Ivy catching fire after having sprayed it with gasoline
is enough to give me nightmares. What a horrible idea.

I would like to mention again the use of "Tecnu" for those of you sensitive
to PI. Basically it is a solvent that you use to clean off the "Tar" that
you get from PI. You can buy it at any pharmacy or Home Depot. It looks
expensive but you need only use a small amount. DON'T use it as you would
soap with water! Instead rub a small amount on the area that feels
irritated for as long as you can stand (2-5 minutes). THEN wipe the area
clean with paper towels that you throw away. Be generous with the paper
towels. Think of the PI as invisible tar (which is what it is) that can be
wiped from one area to another (which is what gives the appearance of it
spreading). If you wipe clean with one wipe and throw that towel away you
are not risking wiping what you just wiped off to some place else. Don't
wash with soap and water after or you will find yourself with very dry skin.

My guess is that anything that would clean up road or roof tar would work
with poison ivy but I am a faithful buyer of Tecnu since it has made my life
in the Northeast tolerable after years of absolute torture. Whatever you
use, make sure you use the above technique since it makes a huge difference
in how successful the removal is.

DKat

"Other Brother Kevin" wrote in message

Old 23-05-2003, 11:20 PM
David J Bockman

Actually the directions on the bottle are to rub vigorously for 2-5 minutes,
then wash off with tepid water.

Dave

"DKat" wrote in message
et...
[...]

Old 27-05-2003, 01:08 AM

Here are two "Tecnu" web sites:

http://www.life-assist.com/al100.html
http"//www.teclabsinc.com/safety/tecnu.html

There are many more, just use the google browser and type in tecnu and
then enter.

David J Bockman wrote:

Actually the directions on the bottle are to rub vigorously for 2-5 minutes,
then wash off with tepid water.

Dave

"DKat" wrote in message
et...
[...]

Chip G. wrote:

In article , Pam
wrote:

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Systemic pest killers Dayton Orchids 39 31-03-2007 04:42 PM
Does any one know how to get rid of poison ivy plants in the yard? GeneS Texas 4 16-04-2004 02:32 PM
Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It -systemic killers rtih Lawns 0 17-05-2003 08:32 PM
Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It Chip G. Lawns 20 17-05-2003 03:20 PM
Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It Chip G. Gardening 21 17-05-2003 03:20 PM