Old 18-05-2003, 05:08 PM
news.verizon.net

Default pruning wisteria in late Spring?

Hello all,

I have a (sometimes) lovely wisteria vine growing in my side yard, here in
Arlington, VA. I built what we call our garbage gazebo, an open structure
with an 8' high slatted top and planted the wisteria to grow up and over the
structure. Like many others, I waited patiently for the vine to become
established and finally flower. Two years ago I had beautiful blooms.
Plentiful, heady fragrance. Then I made the mistake of either pruning too
hard or at the wrong time so that last year I had virtually no bloom. This
year I simply left the vine alone and got blooms but they were hidden in the
center of the plant, almost out of view. Now I have this mass of lush green
growth, well beyond what I want in the space allotted. I know that the
proper way to prune is to do a partial pruning in late August with a final
harder prune in late winter. But will I cause major damage to next year's
bloom if I cut back on the vine now, especially on the vines that are
cascading down, forcing you to walk under or around the mass? My thinking is
that I should go ahead and trim back pretty hard, even now, just to regain
the space and that I'll be ok in terms of next year's bloom so long as I do
the further pruning at the proper time and leave the proper number of buds
on this year's growth. Any help appreciated.

Michael

Old 18-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Pam

"news.verizon.net" wrote:

[...]

IME, you can't over-prune wisteria - the harder you prune it, the better it
flowers. I have seen large established wisteria vines with big, thick trunks
pruned down to just a few stems in midseason to accomodate painting, remodels,
etc., and they have come back the next season in full force to bloom profusely.
Go ahead and prune away - you are only just a few weeks ahead of the recommended
June (after bloom) pruning season for these vines, anyway.

pam - gardengal

Old 18-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Timothy

On Sun, 18 May 2003 16:04:36 +0000, news.verizon.net wrote:

[...]

Generally I tend to shape them in the spring after they bloom and do my
major thinning in the winter when I can see into the shrub. I would think
that you could get away with shaping it now and regain your space. I have
'blown' the blooms off a wisteria once with a high nitrogen fertilizer. I
fertilized with straight 16 ( 16,16,16 ) in the begining of march ( a bit
heavy mind you ).Feeding with fertilisers that have high nitrogen content
will encourage excessive vegetative leaf-growth at the expense of flower
production. Hence the lush green growth with few blooms in the center.
This is also true with the laburnum ( golden chain tree ). I blew the
flowers off a customers tree this year when I was fertilizing the bedding
plants at the base of the tree. Thankfuly it was a non-damaging accident
and a learning moment for me and my customer.... 80)

A tip to the wise about your wisteria. I have see what a mature wisteria
can do to houses/gazebos due to it's shear weight. It has been reccomened
to me be a nursery owner that the structure you train a wisteria to should
be able to hold 700 pounds at least. At first I thought she was being a
bit dramatic about it, untill I got a call about a wisteria clean up. It
was about 25 feet tall 7 feet wide, connected to the side of a house and
it came down in a wind storm. It ripped a lot a siding off and some
gutters also. The dump weight was 2600 pounds!!! Yes a ton of wisteria.

--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com