GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Saw my first Robin today (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/243-re-saw-my-first-robin-today.html)

Jo 25-01-2003 12:19 AM

Saw my first Robin today

You really know how to put the screws to someone who is spring deprived
and
an absolute winter hater. I live in a southwest suburb of Cleveland, Ohio
and you are making me cry. Shame on all of you.

From Natalie in a 1/2 way sunny Middleburg Hts

I second that. I had to wade through hip-high snow to get to the composter
today, and am now sulking about how far away spring seems to be. ;-)

Jo

PS It's going to be -20 tonight. Br-r-r-r!!

Lhemlock 28-01-2003 06:14 AM

Saw my first Robin today

Move South. Otherwise, be pleased that you have a normal Winter which enables
your native plants to have a dormant period which enables them to thrive and
reproduce, which, in turn, enables your native wildlife in all its forms to
thrive and reproduce.

jammer 03-02-2003 08:42 PM

Saw my first robin today

I really only noticed the first robin yesterday here in 7-near Dallas.
And i used to get very upset with my cat for bringing me dead
critters. What i hate it the HALF daed ones. Plus she (Lacey
15yrs.old) sometimes will bring in live things and let them go to
re-hunt in the house. Makes me crazy as it's always me who has to
capture it. Summer before last, she brought me a little grass snake,
unharmed, several nights a week about 1:30am. Sometimes, not a tooth
mark on them. She would come to the house, and make this hideous
yowling sound that would bring anyone running. She would have a snake
trapped under her paw and i would take it, play with it for a while,
and let it go. That's probably the best thing she ever brought me and
i'd have to say a half dead anything would be the worse.

On Sun, 2 Feb 2003 20:36:54 -0500, "Betsy" -0 wrote:

But it's sad :( because of where I saw it--which was my living room floor.
Yup, the cats brought it in through the cat door and left it as a lovely
present for me. Then they tried to blame it on the dog (he's outnumbered)
and I have to admit, the dog didn't look very innocent, nose covered with
feathers & gore as it was. Yuk.

Now before you flame me I hasten to say my cats cannot leave their own back
yard, so are not a threat to other gardens. And I love birds and all
animals great and small, and am grieving at the loss of this fellow (he was
a BIG bird, too) as I vacuum up the many feathers strewn across my living
room. Seems they had quite a romp while I was out today.

jammer